Fitness tracker/smartwatch

What fitness tracker or smartwatch should I buy? I’m a first time buyer.

What features should I look for?

Better yet, what features are overrated due to inaccuracy, unreliability, etc.? Is the blood pressure monitor feature worth it?

I’ve read that many of these wearable devices have warned of COVID-19 infections days before the symptoms materialized. Often, the resting heart rate increases during the incubation stage.

In a post-COVID world in which I’ve dropped many of my current precautions, I’d like to have a fitness tracker or smartwatch to warn me of a potential cold or flu infection. Then I’ll know to ramp up the precautions. I’ve always hated having to miss school or work because of fever. I’ve also always hated sneezing, nose blowing, and the sensation of suffocation from a stuffy nose. In my opinion, even mild symptoms are nasty.

If I see the first signs I’m coming down with something, I’ll be rigorous about masking up. This pandemic demonstrated that the same virus can have dramatically different effects on people, ranging from no symptoms at all to death or permanent disability. It also demonstrated that even completely asymptomatic people can still spread viruses.

I can also take evasive actions and start pre-emptive treatments, like scaling back discretionary activities, avoiding all junk foods, sleeping more, and doubling down on the foods said to have antiviral properties (like garlic, ginger, mushrooms, kiwi fruit, and sauerkraut). If all goes well, I can stop the cold or flu BEFORE the symptoms appear.

I’d like to have a fitness tracker or smartwatch to warn me of a potential cold or flu infection. Then I’ll know to ramp up the precautions.

At which point isn’t it too late?

I have an iWatch but that is only because it was free because I am part of a post-surgery study and I already had an iPhone. It can be really invasive. The first was to deny it access to only but a few selected apps on my iPhone. Initially it connected to everything.

The heart rate monitoring is accurate. I don’t have the blood pressure monitor. The outdoor distance is accurate. The indoor estimates for distance are estimates and aren’t as accurate. I don’t have anyway to know the accurately of the calorie usage.

Each update changes something.

The charger is magnetic. It does take several hours to charge.

We hopped aboard the Apple Watch a couple years ago, so a generation back, but it’s biggest draw (besides my being an AAPL investor) was the fall detection, but the health monitoring is right up there, too…

No issues for me, so far, but it did pick up and warned DW of an afib heart problem a few times now, so her cardiologist is on the loop, and it’s been a help, that it can do, and store EKG data also a winner.

Fall detection, DW’s was triggered as she stumbled, fell returning home with her hands full, splattering a milk shake all over the laundry room, but she was able to stop it from calling me or 911… I tangle footed myself the other day, but since I was able to break my fall, it didn’t trigger…

I take note of my heart rate, walking distances, altho that has fallen off this past year, need together back out there…

So a bit of AAPL dividends made it LBYM I suppose, but we’ve friends with he alternate devices, and he’s fallen, but he sort of fades, oozes down, so it doesn’t trigger, either… They all likely have the same limitations, you don’t want them too sensitive, either… We’re all Apple/Mac/iPhone/watch, so it may be more natural for us to head to the Watch… Keeping them all updated is pretty easy, I’ve set most on automatic, seems to ne working OK…

Good to keep track in any case…

weco

1 Like

This is the site to study for insight into all things wearable…

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/

In the context of Covid tracking specifically, there are so many variables that affect these devices, you’d likely get more false positives caused by such random things as a sleepless night or two, an unaccustomed glass of wine…pretty much any break from your usual routine…than caused by an infection.

I’m sure the R&D departments in the various companies are looking at something like this in order to add more whistles and flashing lights to what’s currently available…maybe there’s something in the works for the next pandemic.

They all likely have the same limitations…

Yes they do. One that’s irked me over the years…and still does…is that the manufacturers are very cagey about what goes into the algorithms that power all the readouts and metrics so it’s really hard for the novice/casual user to actually make good use of what they’re reading.

I can’t imagine why, since the technology used isn’t dramatically different like, say, when the transition from telemetry chest strap to the wrist/arm based photoplethysmography was in its infancy, but there you go. Not a good business model if you can’t make it look like your latest addition is better than the competitor’s …or the last model your own company introduced.

2 Likes

VeeEnn
Yes they do. One that’s irked me over the years…and still does…is that the manufacturers are very cagey about what goes into the algorithms that power all the readouts and metrics so it’s really hard for the novice/casual user to actually make good use of what they’re reading.

This observation/complaint is a subset of the reasoning I have used over the years of never, EVER allow a computer or other infernal digital device make decisions for me that will “automatically make your experience more meaningful”, or some such similar pap…

Never, Never, NEVER…

1 Like

An issue with an iWatch is that I don’t wear it at night because it bruises my wrist and I charge it at night.

I’ve had fitbits, Whoop and I have an Apple Watch. I have the watch because I am in a control group of an afib study. I had wanted to try one anyway to see what the deal was with it monitoring falls. I don’t have an issue with falls - for me, it’s more about notification if I have biking issues.

My fitbits have never lasted all that well and for me, didn’t monitor all that much. My son was the impetus for the Whoop - he does cross fit and was impressed with all of the data. In the last couple of years, there were cases where whoop contacted someone because their data indicated they might have an issue like covid. whoop depends a lot on heart rate and respirations.

Whoop is a subscription service that gives you the device. My Apple watch was deeply discounted(and a lesser model would have been free) because of the study.

I suggest looking at all of these and comparing them for the data you want.

One thing to consider is does feel comfortable on your wrist. If it’s bulky and snags on clothing a lot, if the band itches or chafes my wrist, I’ll be less inclined to wear it.

Lucky Dog :dog2:

2 Likes

“I’ve read that many of these wearable devices have warned of COVID-19 infections days before the symptoms materialized. Often, the resting heart rate increases during the incubation stage.”

Gee.
What other things might increase resting heart rates?

Fitness trackers do wonders for keeping track of steps, stairs, monitor heart rate and even
monitor oxygen levels while sleeping and sleeping patterns. They do not tell you why you
may not be sleeping well or why the heart rate goes one way or another.

Howie52
A thermometer may be of greater use to you if you want to look for various infections.

2 Likes

Howie52
A thermometer may be of greater use to you if you want to look for various infections.

+++
+++

But {unintentional pun} I have NEVER heard of a rectal smart watch/fit bit!