FMI

Great news for those long FMI!
I really appreciate Bulwnkl bringing this stock to this board last fall. I purchased options as he suggested, converted those options to shares in January 2018, and set up an additional synthetic long in January 2018.

Only regret was not purchasing a larger position!

5 Likes

Acquired by Roche for $137/share.

Thanks for the bringing it to board Bulwnkl however I missed out on this one.

https://thefly.com/landingPageNews.php?headline=FMI%3BRHHBY-…

1 Like

Echoing the thanks to Bulwnkle. I have held since last fall with a 2 percent position and a basis cost around 60 so a double in less than a year. The gain, so far today, more than makes up for the market sell off.
So thanks to all the great people that make this board so impressive, and especially to Bulwnkle.
Mike

1 Like

My thanks as well. Bought a small stake, financed half of it with a long dated slightly OTM put, closed it out yesterday on the announcement for a 550% plus gain. I may be a little unmathematical in my gain calculations because I net the option proceeds out of the original investment value, but any way to count makes it was a very fine gain.

I understand that shareholders of FMI will receive cash and not shares of Roche.

Questions – I also purchased shares in the fall (October/November) and wonder if there is a tax advantage in doing nothing and having shares of FMI liquidated (does that negate a short-term gain?). Or will I be hit with a short-term tax gain regardless of holding or selling all FMI shares today? Does anyone have thoughts on this?

With thanks,
Andrew

Questions – I also purchased shares in the fall (October/November) and wonder if there is a tax advantage in doing nothing and having shares of FMI liquidated (does that negate a short-term gain?).

It is all based on your holding period. Once the liquidation takes place, either forcefully or via your action, if it has been less than one year, short term taxes apply…a year or more…then long term taxes.

A.J.