Food Pantries--increasing use because?

Yes, I know. But the ubiquitous term is “Obamaphone,” and so that’s what I used. (We’re veering more and more off topic.)

1 Like

Only ubiquitous because a certain faction pushed the term to try and make a political point.

5 Likes

Of course. But then the directly affected folks took the term and put a positive spin on it, sorta like “Obamacare.”

(I’m getting the sense that some posters are misunderstanding my point of view on this, or perhaps haven’t read my earlier post.)

2 Likes

In NY:
“Most households applying for SNAP no longer have to pass a savings/resource test in order to get SNAP benefits. This means that the household’s assets (stocks, savings and retirement accounts, etc.) are not considered when determining eligibility.”

1 Like

I read any number of times that this is an urban myth.

Yes,the cadillac fur coat meme has been quoted for many years. With no asset based requirements it is entirely plausible that people with nice things can temporarily qualify for food stamps. Get over it.

Jk

2 Likes

Actually, in this case, it is far from a myth. It also involves a willingness to opportunistically commit fraud with a lack of a moral compass. The local group most apt to take this route as the common sense approach are those from former Soviet republics.

Jeff

4 Likes

Jeff,

If I recall correctly,you are a multi millionaire living in a rent controlled apartment,is that correct?
You don’t see that as oppurtunistic? You cannot see the irony?

Jk

2 Likes

Well, Golden’s Rotary- sponsored annual Miracle Shoppe kicks off tomorrow. Have spent the last couple of days with cronies doing set up etc. I shall definitely be on the lookout for cellphones, fur coats and Mercs … along with anyone who’s not sufficiently 'umble and grateful.

The 4 colourful skateboards plus helmets and the still wrapped scooter are a few of mine👇

6 Likes

Just an update. On Christmas Eve there were 78 clients. Of course, we were also giving away Christmas toys at the same time, so that may have been an added draw.

2 Likes

Our final count for the Miracle Shoppe was just over 250 families served over the 2 days…with probably no more than 5 or 6 “shoppers” who didn’t quite understand the assignment (if you get my drift :wink:) Not true chancers in reality and there was obviously need along with the show of greed. In each case, it was other folk who were choosing their toys honestly who tattled on them as they were recognised from their neighborhoods or kids’ school etc and who were rightly miffed at the sight of someone who only had 3 children to take care of filling their carts with enough toys for 6 or 7.

So many more newcomers to the shop this year…a good many who were almost making their way out of poverty but dragged back by a combination of sheer bad luck and/or the current financial situation.

I think it might be easier to cope with the fur coats and Mercs crowd than such real hardship.

1 Like