formatting

anyone know why some posts get coverted into extra long off the page to the right posts?
I wish that would go away, I have just been reading the left hand side of the post! Too much scrolling. Hope nothing important in the right side.

It is the result of someone using the “pre” tag and not previewing their pre-formatting. If they don’t put in hard returns when necessary, the window gets wide for the entire thread.

There is a checkbox below the text area that says:

“Table Data (fixed-width font, enter your own line breaks)”

If the poster inadvertently checks the checkbox the post will be extra wide.

One way to read them without scrolling is to copy/paste them into a work processor or text editor.

Denny Schlesinger

1 Like

anyone know why some posts get coverted into extra long off the page to the right posts?

If you get it in preformatted mode. One can do that intentionally for the whole post by clicking the Table Data box at the end. One can do it intentionally for a specific block of the post, like a table, by surrounding the text with < pre > and < /pre > (no spaces). This gives fixed width font and one has to do one’s own line breaks. These seems to also happen with certain devices, like posting from one’s phone or something, but I am not clear what causes it specifically in those cases.

work processor

Now, there’s a machine I could use!

1 Like