Free Speech Absolutist...Or Opportunist?

What he can’t do is make you believe him. :imp:

I think the new X is better than the pre Musk Twitter.

The Captain

3 Likes

For me, it’s not about love/hate. It’s about volatile leadership. I’ll acknowledge that EM’s leadership has greatly contributed to some impressive results in the past. I’m not sure that will continue in the future.

I suppose that’s why I don’t think it’s a waste of time to discuss it.

1 Like

But it’s the way to bet. :innocent:

The Captain

2 Likes

How hard did you look?
http://www.adl.org/resources/report/quantifying-hate-year-anti-semitism-twitter

4 Likes

Musk bought Twitter in October 2022.

Acquisition of Twitter by Elon Musk - Wikipedia.

The piece you linked is dated May 2018.

Why should I look before Elon Musk bought the site when we are discussing Elon Musk?

The Captain

5 Likes

Fair enough.

Oh look!

5 Likes

Valid; fair point.

Here is one from a couple of days ago blaming the attack in Russia on the Jews and that ISIS is actually a front for the Jews:
https://www.adl.org/resources/blog/israel-isis-and-other-lies-about-crocus-city-hall-terror-attack

3 Likes

That makes sense, but those businesses are different.

X depends heavily on ad revenue and subscriptions to make money. When advertisers pull out and people tire of paying for their subscriptions, that’s a serious problem for the business.

Full disclosure - I’m not a dirtbag.

What we’re seeing with X is predictable. It’s not crazy to suggest that the demographic most drawn to a “free speech absolutist” social media platform is the Dirtbag Demographic (DD). A site that’s a free-for-all for vile trash isn’t appealing to non-dirtbags, especially when their content is being censored willy-nilly.

At some point, X will reach peak dirtbag. Unable to draw in more users, they’ll create new and exciting ways to milk money out of the dirtbags. This isn’t a good business model.

3 Likes

And as a not-investor in Tesla, this is one of the concerns I have that keeps me away from investing.

Tesla is a large, multi-national business. It requires the full attention of its senior executives. But Musk does not devote his full attention to being the CEO of Tesla. He splits his time between Tesla and SpaceX and now X-Twitter. Each of those businesses is more than large enough to have a full time CEO. Yet all three get only a part time CEO.

Now as a potential Tesla investor, what happens at those other two businesses is none of my concern. But the lack of a full time CEO at Tesla is my business.

Then there’s the PR side of things. Because he IS the CEO of other businesses, any bad publicity in those businesses can spill over and affect the price of Tesla stock. So businesses I have no interest in can affect me. I don’t like that.

Lastly, it is my understanding that SpaceX is really his baby - the business he really wants to succeed in the long term. Tesla is just a convenient way to make some money he can have available for SpaceX if it’s ever needed. And X? That’s just an ill-timed foray into trying to more directly affect public opinion. One that is costing him real money as well as the loss of some reputation. That loss of reputation (some might call it the exposing of the real Elon Musk) can spill over into reduced demand for Tesla stock simply because of statements or actions that have nothing to do with Tesla.

—Peter

3 Likes

In Scotland they passed an anti-hate-speech law. Calling someone a dirtbag might land you in jail. This kind of law muzzles speech. Who is the arbiter of hate? Your model above also muzzles the speech of the anti-dirtbags because it’s bad for business. In the ludicrous search for perfection this is creating hell.

• What is the motivation for scratching the scab?
  • Why did Hawkwin come up with an out of date article in the first place? Why double down?
  • Did they fact-check the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) or take it at face value?
  • What is the utility of the ADL? Is it creating a happier world?
  • Has anyone asked Elon about the ADL claims?

o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o

Spoiler alert, I’m not going to explore any of those questions nor explore the ADL claims. That exploration would be scratching the scab some more. The body creates scabs to cover and heal wounds but the body was not smart enough to make sure scabs don’t itch. So we scratch and scratching hurts the wound some more.

Fight or Flight is incomplete. It should be Fight, Flight, or Ignore. There is a lot of Ignore missing in these speech issues. There is the popular notion that your rights end at the tip of my nose. Does speech hurt the nose or just the ego?

There is a management stratagem in Venezuela we call “Hacerse el loco” ‘Play crazy’ variously translated into ‘play dumb,’ ‘turn a blind eye,’ or ‘ignore.’ It is sadly underused!

To answer @eldemonio The X conjecture is not relevant enough to investing in Tesla so ignore. KISS!

The Captain

BTW, I spent a lot of time pondering how to reply and discovered that I too had scratched the scab! Mea Culpa! My mistake was trying to defend Elon by discussing a potential anti-semitism tweet.

An error occurred: Sorry, you can’t post the word ‘replaced by dirtbag’; it’s not allowed.

I guess it hurts someone’s ego. Censor, censor everywhere! :innocent:

5 Likes

Reminder, if you own the S&P 500, you own Tesla. Since Tesla is the worst performing S&P 500 company YTD (or as of at least a few days ago), it is relevant to more investors in the world than those that hold Tesla directly.

1 Like

I appreciate your reply. I agree that the shenanigans in this thread don’t really apply to investing in Tesla. The intent was to focus on X.

I doubt it.

I don’t think it’s my model, just a prediction. It’s not about muzzling anyone - it’s describes how anti-dirtbags will stop using platforms that allow things they find offensive and vile.

I don’t care how nice the pool tables are at the White Nationalist Bar & Grill, I’m not going to be a regular. There are other places to rack 'em up…

1 Like

Now that is rich coming from you! :grin:

I guess I need to remind you of when you were willing to take at face value a claim that Paul Pelosi was assaulted by his gay lover.

Ya, I won’t apologize for taking the ADL at face value vs some rando on twitter.

4 Likes

Believe me, this comment was not meant to attack you, it was meant to show how easily these discussions can escalate out of control.

The Captain

3 Likes

No offense taken. I needle you only slightly more than I give you a thumbs up.

2 Likes