FSLY drops on pre-earnings warning

It appears that FSLY is warning investors early to expect slightly lower earnings than guidance called for originally. From the article it appears that the Tik-Tok debacle is to blame.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fastly-provides-preliminary-t…

Fastly now expects third quarter 2020 total revenue of $70.0 to $71.0 million, compared to its previous guidance of $73.5 to $75.5 million. All previously issued third quarter and full-year guidance that Fastly disclosed in its second quarter shareholder letter and related call on August 5 should not be relied upon. These preliminary results and the withdrawal of the previously-issued third quarter and full-year guidance reflect the following customer-specific factors:

- Due to the impacts of the uncertain geopolitical environment, usage of Fastly’s platform by its previously disclosed largest customer did not meet expectations, resulting in a corresponding significant reduction in revenue from this customer.

- During the latter part of the third quarter, a few customers had lower usage than Fastly had estimated..

My gut feeling is this is a total over-reaction by the market (-27% in AHT as I write this). And that ultimately, the acquisition of Signal Sciences will boost revenue, the Tik-Tok issue will become a blip in the rear-view mirror, and things will continue upwards after Q4.

I just picked some up in my wife’s Roth IRA, and I’m tempted to pick up more in my own, but might also wait to see what happens tomorrow.

Paul

22 Likes