Geico ordered to pay $5.2M to woman who got HPV

"a ruling by the Missouri Court of Appeals ordering insurance juggernaut Geico to pay a woman $5.2 million in damages after being infected with HPV during intimate activities that took place in an insured personal vehicle. "

Never thought car insurance would cover such things.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/geico-ordered-pay-5-2m-170300926…

6 Likes

This has to be a joke. Bizarro world turns more bizarro every day. The US specifically is deeply mentally ill.

11 Likes

Here is the decision - pretty bonkers but I guess the appeals court is saying GEICO chose not to defend their insured by denying coverage outright. It certainly sounds like the intimate couple were working together on this and fraud is quite possible. Did they never get intimate anywhere besides the insured vehicle? How old are these goofballs?

https://www.courts.mo.gov/file.jsp?id=187183

2 Likes

"a ruling by the Missouri Court of Appeals ordering insurance juggernaut Geico to pay a woman $5.2 million in damages after being infected with HPV during intimate activities that took place in an insured personal vehicle. "

Never thought car insurance would cover such things.

If car, then perhaps homeowners in similar cases?

1 Like

This is a very technical legal opinion and not cause for alarm at this point. Geico denied coverage and refused to defend insured, so it had no right to litigate coverage after the arbitration decision. The time to do that was at the beginning of the process. Instead, Geico filed a lawsuit in federal court (declaratory judgment action) to determine whether insured’s policy covered this claim. That lawsuit is still pending.

13 Likes

If it happens on, or with, or in a vehicle, it’s car insurance. I closed the door of my parked car on my finger while its key was in my pocket. I tried to get xrays using health insurance, but was told it had to go through my car insurance. I didn’t want to pay my deductible and have it affect my rates, so I waited, until it healed, and apparently nothing was broken. It was a shock to me that it would run through car insurance.

1 Like