Georgia early voting

imposing it as a hurdle in order to suppress the votes of certain classes of Americans.

Not as a hurdle, but to ensure that the person showing up to vote is in fact eligible to vote, it is that simple. If it is hard for that person to possess an ID, that doesn’t make it sinister to require one.

That person likely needs an id for all the other aspects of life that have been mentioned in this thread. So get one. All these get out the vote advocates should be helping them to get an ID, not agitating that an ID should not be necessary. All the public dollars allocated to such voter advocacy organizations would more than cover costs. So what is wrong with that idea? Instead, the people who simply want voters to identify themselves are hectored as evil voter supressors bent on disenfranchisement.

4 Likes

Local governments have routinely flouted those requirements - the NPR article castigates the state for not doing enough to enforce, but they certainly deserve the initial blame for failing to follow the statutes in the first place.

Albaby

You mean local election officials are not following the law? And doing so with impunity? I am shocked to hear this, shocked I tell ya’. I wonder what other processes the local officials find too cumbersome to adhere to, such as verifying signatures on mail in ballots, maintaining audit trails chain of custody documentation, applying cut off times and postmark dates, etc.

And with no consequences, it will continue. Could it be that lack of enforcement by the state is because the state is run by the same political party as the local officials who flout state election laws?

3 Likes

“My argument is that if government requires that you have ID in order to function in society, then government should make an affirmative step to assist people who, often through no fault of their own, are unable to acquire said ID.”

States do issue state id-cards

https://www.dmv.org/id-cards.php

2 Likes

If you can pay the poll tax. In Indiana it is $9. Thanks for the link you provided.

If you have a permanent address.

1 Like

All the public dollars allocated to such voter advocacy organizations would more than cover costs.

Although costs are an obstacle, it’s not the main one. The main one is that you need ID to get ID–e.g., you need a birth certificate to get a state ID, but you need a state ID to get a birth certificate! It is literally those kinds of Catch-22s. We agitate and have even sued the state–successfully–to lower some of the inane barriers, but it is still very difficult in no small number of cases.

For example, some state prisons release ex-offenders with no ID, no documents, no nothing. And then these folks are supposed to start over on the straight and narrow. How? Can’t get a job, a place to live, nothing. This isn’t (only) about being “charitable.” It’s about being sensible about reducing recidivism, reintegrating people back into society successfully.

It’s taken more than a decade for our organization to acquire and apply the know-how to work the systems. We have a national reputation for never backing down. But it shouldn’t have to be that way.

18 Likes

States do issue state id-cards

You think I don’t know that? I’m talking about all the stuff you need to have in hand in order to get that ID, and how difficult it is to get it all, esp. if you’re starting from scratch.

Here’s what you need in Michigan, for example: https://www.michigan.gov/-/media/Project/Websites/sos/03lawe…

Every state has very similar requirements.

5 Likes

“You think I don’t know that? I’m talking about all the stuff you need to have in hand in order to get that ID, and how difficult it is to get it all, esp. if you’re starting from scratch.”

Seems like the same stuff that I had to provide in order to get my drivers license.

2 Likes

Seems like the same stuff that I had to provide in order to get my drivers license.

And here we go again… Bye, boater.

6 Likes

Bye guy, seems that you cannot provide any meaningful substance to your weak complaints.

4 Likes

Mr Fungi: And here we go again… Bye, boater.

I am hearing (Or, more correctly, reading) that the frowny face doesn’t work any longer. Can you confirm?

CNC

The claim was that there was massive fraud that undermined the integrity of the election

But your claim was that there was no fraud at all: that was an entirely accurate statement (which you have admitted to be incorrect).

3 Likes

Works great, just have to check that the P-Box is ON…

1 Like

What is sloppy is saying that asking for an ID to vote is “suppression”.

Did I mention voter ID or are you just tossing up a Red Herring?

I invite you to go back and read my complaint. It has nothing to do with voter ID.

Georgia already required an ID to vote (at least in the general) so that is a non-issue to me.

LOL, you are comparing a law crafted to suppress voting in the general election with early voting turn out in the primary. The two are in no way related.

OK Hawkin, please detail all the ways the GA law “suppresses” voting.

Also, for extra credit, if there are other states whose current voting laws are more “suppressive” than Georgia’s, please enumerate them. (Hint: see some of the more “liberal” states).

Have fun!
Murph

5 Likes

…here’s a head start for you on the extra credit assignment:

https://www.dailysignal.com/2021/04/08/how-georgias-voting-l…

Oh, and in your detailing of how GA law “suppresses” voting, please compare it with pre-COVID emergency voting laws.

Let’s do apples to apples. :wink:

Cheers!
Murph

2 Likes

…just too darned easy to find these things:

…Georgia’s new voting law has sparked outrage from Democrats and even been called “Jim Crow on steroids” by President Joe Biden, but many of its provisions have governed elections in other states across the country for years.

From voter ID requirements to ballot drop boxes, and early voting schedules to absentee ballot access, there is little new or unique in the freshly minted Georgia rules. In fact, many of the measures critics are attacking have long been in place in blue states, including Biden’s home state of Delaware…

VOTER ID

Voting rights advocates often claim that ID requirements disenfranchise voters of color, and many of them have railed against the Georgia law for its voter ID provisions.

But the Georgia reforms simply extended existing ID requirements — voters must show ID to vote in person in Georgia — to voting by mail. Voters now need to list their driver’s license or state ID number on their application for an absentee ballot, and election workers will use that to verify ballots in lieu of signature matching, which critics say is much more subjective.

If a Georgia voter has no ID, they can list the last four digits of their Social Security number instead.

Georgia is far from the only state that asks voters for documentation of their identity.

Thirty-six states request at least some form of documentation in order to vote, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

That includes Democratic-controlled states such as Connecticut and Delaware, which both ask voters to prove their identities in some circumstances or to sign affidavits under penalty of law if they don’t have the documents…

DROP BOXES

Critics of the Georgia law have also misleadingly claimed that it takes ballot drop boxes away from voters and therefore eliminates opportunities to vote.

But the Peach State did not allow the use of any drop boxes prior to 2020, when Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp authorized them on an emergency basis due to the pandemic…

Tons more: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/how-georgias-new…

Cheers!
Murph

4 Likes

ID’s are particularly hard for people who change their names, which includes most women. A married woman who changes her name needs four blanks for her full name, but databases don’t have four blanks. This leads to inconsistencies in the record.

I don’t know why the heck they don’t let you record your full name. I just put two names in the middle blank, a lot of the time. But not all databases will let you do that.

5 Likes

Voting is not like buying a beer. Voting is a fundamental right of a citizen. As I said, I’ve got no problem with requiring ID to vote. My problem is with requiring it but then doing little or nothing to enable folks to meet that requirement–i.e., imposing it as a hurdle in order to suppress the votes of certain classes of Americans.

If a person truly wants an ID in order to cast a vote there are organizations across America who are there and are willing to help. Also among the list… any Church, City Hall, Town hall…even your local Food Pantry will help one obtain an ID to vote if you ask.
Union Reps and union members, political parties, countless organizations, even Michelle Obama have “Get out the Vote” drives.

IMO, those who constantly wail voter oppression really wants any “Joe or Jane down the street” to vote for their candidate of choice without regard that person is eligible to vote, such as not being an American citizen or a felon, etc…which comes to mind the hordes and hordes of illegals coming across our southern border. I wonder what Uncle Joe has in mind for them.

snip
“ All American citizens, regardless of their race, ethnicity, or gender, deserve the right to vote in free and fair elections. And although the Constitution grants Americans the equal right to vote, many people still encounter obstacles when attempting to do so. And with so many charities advocating for voting rights in the US, we had to ask: What are the best charities for voting rights in America?”

9 Best Charities for Voting Rights in America (Complete 2022 List)

https://impactful.ninja/best-charities-for-voting-rights-in-…

“How to Help Protect Our Elections and Get Out the Vote”

“The organizations described here are part of the many organized efforts helping every voice be heard and are great places to begin”

‘American Civil Liberties Union’
‘Asian Americans Advancing Justice/Asian Law Caucus’
‘Let America Vote’
‘NAACP’
‘League of Women Voters’

The list goes on of organizations who will help people obtain an ID in order to vote.

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/crsj/publications/human_r…

VoteRiders is here to help
We provide voter ID assistance so that every American can cast a ballot that counts.

Every state has different voter ID rules
Select your state for the latest information about what ID is required for voting in person or by mail.

The Voting Rights Alliance is a growing non-partisan network of organizations, activists, and legislators working to restore and protect voting rights

https://www.voteriders.org/

Black-Led Organizing Fund

https://movement.vote/funds/black-led-fund/

4 Likes

In early primaries, voters favor polling places over mail
https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm-elections-covid-heal…
The great vote-by-mail wave appears to be receding just as quickly as it arrived. After tens of millions of people in the United States opted for mail ballots during the pandemic election of 2020, voters in early primary states are returning in droves to in-person voting this year.

In Georgia, one of the mostly hotly contested states, about 85,000 voters had requested mail ballots for the May 24 primary, as of Thursday. That is a dramatic decrease from the nearly 1 million who cast mail ballots in the state’s 2020 primary at the height of the coronavirus pandemic. The trend was similar in Ohio, Indiana and West Virginia, which held primaries this month; comparisons were not available for Nebraska, another early primary state.

A step back in mail balloting was expected given easing concerns about COVID-19, but some election officials and voting experts had predicted that far more voters would seek out the convenience of mail voting once they experienced it.

DB2

2 Likes