Golf Courses Being Returned to the Wild

With the 20-year Tiger Woods golf bonanza fading, fewer people have an interest in golf. Advertisers are finding that generic white guys playing golf don’t attract much of an audience.

intercst

4 Likes

Golf going down.
Tennis going down.
Pickleball going up … way way way up.

2 Likes

How good was 2020 historically? Tiger Woods good. Specifically, the growth numbers in many cases set all-time records in many categories, and the number of golfers coming to the game in 2020 were only benchmarked against some of the greatest moments in Woods’ career, including his debut major title in 1997 and his epic U.S. Open win on a broken leg in 2008…

The NGF count showed 24.8 million golfers in the U.S. in 2020, an increase of 500,000 and 2 percent over 2019.

41.1 Million Americans played golf – both on-course and off-course – in 2022. This record-setting total includes 25.6 million people who played on a golf course…

DB2

2 Likes

Hmm, I wonder what happened in 2020 that caused so people to have extra free time and disposable income and want to pick up an outdoor hobby?

3 Likes

And indeed they did. And the growth has continued. There are more golfers, not fewer, than five years ago. Fewer than in Tiger’s day though.

DB2

1 Like

I live on a golf course in my condo complex. We are seeing a couple of years now in the black. We are seeing membership continue to climb.

Around here developers are just buying private golf courses, closing them down, and then building wall to wall homes on the acreage.

intercst

2 Likes