Grainger

Back, well about 20 years now, while still working for WeCo/Lucent Installation, at times I found Grainger to be really handy, great thick catalogs and at times about the only source for some things like industrial casters for cherry picker hoist, n other stuff…

Personally, before I had access via work, I used a friend’s account at one time to build up an air compressor, tank, pressure switch, misc parts. But as I waited on the sale, someone in the back room called my buddy, his clerk answered, didn’t know me, so Graingers was not going to sell me the parts…Well, I took the phone, before we had iPhones, and called, had the clerk get my buddy on the line, and he set them straight, I bought the stuff, paid the tax on it so he didn’t have a problem…

But it soured me on their policy, until, as I noted earlier, we did have a Grainger account, so never another issue…

Just now I see ads on TV for Grainger, and I wonder if they now sell to the public… Haven’t tried, no particular needs, but just curious… Their original policy was to ‘protect’ their commercial accounts, but why would any company turn away business?

Curious…

1 Like