GTR1.net updates

With the switch to the new boards, it appears gtr1.net data isn’t getting updated. Is there hope for this to change, or shall I just learn to love manually processing the data to get Screen of Screen picks?

4 Likes

At least the SI Pro data is, every field was last modified 20221021 (last Friday).

Brian

3 Likes

“This is the first time jjgreen has posted — let’s welcome them to our community!”

THEM?

According to Merriam Webster, it is okay to use “them”. This surprised me as I thought it should be him or her.

Craig

Except for the part about “they” and “them” being plural pronouns, referring to a group, not to an individual.
Eric Hines

1 Like

The voices in my head agree on our plurality. Or maybe it was the cats

3 Likes

If you don’t know the gender of the person, it’s perfectly fine to use “them”. It’s way better than using he/she. “Let’s welcome he/she to the board” sounds silly. “Let’s welcome them…” is mo bedda. And if the person’s gender is non-binary (their brain chemistry doesn’t ascribe to either the “male” or “female” binary stereotypes, and they prefer to use they/them pronouns, then again it’s appropriate to use “them” in a singular fashion.
Tails

3 Likes

Eric

What I saw was they and them being okay for singular, which was new to me.

They Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

[

Definition of THEY

those ones : those people, animals, or things; —used to refer to people in a general way or to a group of people…

](They Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster)

—used with a singular indefinite pronoun antecedentNo one has to go if they don’t want to.Everyone knew where they stood …— E. L. Doctorow

b—used with a singular antecedent to refer to an unknown or unspecified personAn employee with a grievance can file a complaint if they need to.The person who answered the phone said they didn’t know where she was.

c—used to refer to a single person whose gender is intentionally not revealedA student was found with a knife and a BB gun in their backpack Monday, district spokeswoman Renee Murphy confirmed. The student, whose name has not been released, will be disciplined according to district policies, Murphy said. They also face charges from outside law enforcement, she said.— Olivia Krauth

Craig

1 Like

#offtopic #offtherails #endthethread

3 Likes

#offtopic - Yes
#offtherails - a (waning) opinion
#endthethread - As Jim Mungofitch oft mentioned (per Roberts Rules of Order) “A motion to adjourn is always in order.”

2 Likes

New to you, perhaps, but singular they/them has been accepted (and is found in still-extant writing) from 1370 to sometime in the late 1800s. When there was a sudden fad of “if it isn’t possible in classical formal Latin, it shouldn’t be allowed in English.” Ignoring the fact that even the Romans, 90%+ of the time, didn’t speak classical formal Latin.

There was similar resistance in the mid-1600s to the notion that you could be singular. Art thou aware of that?

3 Likes