HaaS Historical note

If you think HaaS is new, I have a surprise for you, until the 1956 Consent Decree IBM didn’t sell their tabulating machines, they only rented them.

1956 Consent Decree[edit]

On January 21, 1952 the U.S. Government filed a lawsuit which resulted in a consent decree entered as a final judgment on January 25, 1956.[289] The government’s goal to increase competition in the data processing industry was effected through several provisions in the decree:[290]

• IBM was required to sell equipment on terms that would place purchasers at a disadvantage with respect to customers leasing the same equipment from IBM. Prior to this decree, IBM had only rented its equipment. This created markets both for used IBM equipment[290] and enabled lease financing of IBM equipment by third parties (leasing companies).[290]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_IBM#1956_Consent_De…

It was a HIGHLY profitable monopolistic type of business!

Denny Schlesinger

18 Likes

IBM was required to sell equipment on terms that would place purchasers at a disadvantage with respect to customers leasing the same equipment from IBM. Prior to this decree, IBM had only rented its equipment

The U.S. government required a dominant company to sell its product rather than only renting it. As one with a predominately subscription based (read SaaS) portfolio, that is the bigger lesson for me. This is not information worth acting on, but it is worth being mindful of; thank you for the history refresher.

1 Like

Denny, You might also recall that our home telephones were once leased from the phone company.

About 6-7 years ago I settled the affairs for an elderly woman who was still being charged for the rental of her phone.

Denny, You might also recall that our home telephones were once leased from the phone company.

And “foreign” devices were not allowed to be attached to the AT&T line. That ended when judge Greene broke up Ma Bell (1984?)

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/att20.html

another wonderful monopoly business situation.

Denny Schlesinger

1 Like

Wasnt the heyday of Xerox analogous to HaaS?

Rent the machine, monthly contract for paper toner, service, etc.

Even now I bought my copier and saved a nice amount, but for maintenance, I pay for service-- although what I’m really paying is overpriced insurance for a loaner copier if they need to fix mine.