Hadoop Hortonworks Alert!

I’ve been catching up with computer technology watching a series of lectures on uTube. In Distributed Systems In One Lesson at minute 28:00 I came across this comment that might explain the weakness of Hortonworks:

Hadoop is still widely deployed, rapidly becoming, in my view and the view of many others, becoming a legacy technology, is not the cool thing anymore at all, but, you should know, that whole map reduce thing, yep, that’s the fundamental layer, the bottom of Hadoop and the other more long lived part of Hadoop is the distributed file system (HDFS) that is in the words of one of the co-creators a cockroach.

More at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJwp4kroTM8

Denny Schlesinger

1 Like

I do not know what Map Reduce is, but in one of the links to my Mongo continuing series on NPI the expert person being interviewed said that the MapReduce function was a disappointment for functionality on Mongo. So may not be just a Hadoop thing. Instead an Aggregation framework was developed that works quite well.

Here is the link to that post an article f Jan 2018:

http://discussion.fool.com/33022984.aspx

For clarity Mongo and Hadoop are complementary and not necessarily competing w each other but they both share many similar attributes for different use cases.

Tinker

I do not know what Map Reduce is…

The video explains it just before the Hadoop mention. One big problem with distributed data is maintaining consistency, you can’t update all the data repositories at the same time and if you access just one them you might get old data. Map Reduce is a technology for solving the problem.

My post was a heads up about Hortonworks stock, why HDP might be cheap.

Denny Schlesinger

3 Likes

we did a 2 year project to create a distributed data ingestion/processing layer for our applications. We choose Hortonworks HDP to provide the integrated platform. The idea is they do all the open source integration work rather than us.

Some feedback - the components and software are still immature and evolving quickly, we ran into many issues when scaling up. Support is expensive. They have provided good support. But you also live with the versions of the components they have integrated at a point in time.

When we look back the one aspect we would most change is to not use HDFS. Too many issues for the potential value.

We are going back and redoing our framework. We hope to reuse about 70-80 of what we have, with a couple of changes. We are no longer going to use Hortonworks HDP. We want the flexibility to pick and choose and saving the $$. To me, this does not mean Hortonworks would get hurt by this. Need to determine where you think HDP is in the technology adoption lifecycle. We are very out on the front edge. Perhaps mainstreet will still go HDP.

We have also been using Mongo DB for a couple of years. We have some scaling issues with it. Its great for smaller uses of processing time series data.

7 Likes

Perhaps mainstreet will still go HDP.

The fellow who gave the lecture called Hadoop “legacy” which could well be translated into investor-speak as “cash cow” but the fast growth component is history and Mr. Market no longer gives it the high valuation of ascendent technologies. In other words, HDP could now be a value play but not a Saul play.

Denny Schlesinger

1 Like

The fellow who gave the lecture called Hadoop “legacy” which could well be translated into investor-speak as “cash cow” but the fast growth component is history and Mr. Market no longer gives it the high valuation of ascendent technologies. In other words, HDP could now be a value play but not a Saul play.

Denny,

That just couldn’t be more wrong. Hortonworks’ revenue growth is actually accelerating! They’re getting more deals, bigger deals, more revenue, more deferred revenue. Support Subscription revenue grew 63% last quarter, so when you say fast growth is history I don’t know what on earth you might mean. How fast do you think they will grow in Q1? Place your bets.

Bear

4 Likes

Bear, we are talking two different growth rates, you are talking revenue while I’m talking stock price, the two don’t move in lockstep.

Place your bets.

I did. :wink:

Denny Schlesinger

correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t the two of you agreeing that it could be a good investment? :slight_smile:

forgive the second post. I see the argument on both sides now

1 Like