Help me understand

The difference between…

To raise cash I sold out of my small position in GH, because it wasn’t down today, not being a SaaS company. Also, contrary to others, I sold out of SMAR because it seemed to be making the least progress towards moving towards profitability.

and…

I sold all the high-growth stocks except ROKU (and picked up some ESTC a few days ago - temptations will always get me into trouble:-), but for now, I’ve battened the hatches and am willing to watch the storm through a window.

The above has nothing to do with the quality of the companies, but rather the current value of the companies.

6 Likes

Carver, the 3 posts of your’s I’ve seen today do not suggest you really are seeking help in understanding; they suggest you are just trying to stir up something. If you really want to meaningfully participate on this Board, please read the Knowledgeabase. If the type of investing discussed on this Board is not for you, there are plenty of other boards out there.

18 Likes

Perhaps I’m wrong, but I interpreted this question as sincere and genuine, rather than trying to “stir anything up”. So I’ll give it a genuine answer, and then let’s agree to kill this thread.

The difference between…

1. To raise cash I sold out of my small position in GH, because it wasn’t down today, not being a SaaS company. Also, contrary to others, I sold out of SMAR because it seemed to be making the least progress towards moving towards profitability. (Saul, post #59525)

This is textbook, straight out of the Knowledgebase Part 2:
https://discussion.fool.com/knowledgebase-newly-revised-part-2-3…

## Portfolio Management

D. When the market tanks irrationally, I tend to reduce or eliminate the stalwart stable stocks that haven’t declined much, the WAB’s and CASY’s for instance, [or today, 9/9/19, GH was flat and SMAR was down 2%] and reinvest the money in the great, fast growing stocks, which have declined a bunch with little or no reason except that the market is falling. [e.g., AYX and CRWD -15%, and MDB and OKTA -10%]

and…

2. I sold all the high-growth stocks except ROKU (and picked up some ESTC a few days ago - temptations will always get me into trouble:-), but for now, I’ve battened the hatches and am willing to watch the storm through a window.

The above has nothing to do with the quality of the companies, but rather the current value of the companies. (OrmontUS, post #59482)

This is market timing, plain and simple. Jumping out expecting it to go down more, and then presumably jumping back in later when the valuations have decreased. That doesn’t mean it won’t end up being the wrong move, but it’s completely antithetical to the Knowledgebase. And that’s that difference between these two philosophies.

Let’s stop this thread, as it’s dangerously close to being OT, if it isn’t already. Feel free to reply off-board, though.

Matt

P.S.: What I did today (see if you can figure out which of the two aforementioned strategies I’m taking): I sold my remaining AMZN slightly up on the day (about 4.5% holding), and added to AYX, CRWD, TWLO, and OKTA. If we have another day like today, then MA and V, which are near all-time highs, are next on my chopping block.

30 Likes