Home Rent Bidding Wars

For some people, it won’t be so simple if there isn’t any more room in the panel for another breaker.

Tandem breakers.

You can replace one breaker with a tandem breaker and you now have two circuits.

Mike

1 Like

I assume you don’t want to use the same circuit as the stove and dryer. For some people, it won’t be so simple if there isn’t any more room in the panel for another breaker.

I’ve seen a switch for sale that switches at the dryer outlet - either dryer or EV charger. That’s for people who don’t want to bother adding (or can’t add) a new circuit from the panel.

2 Likes

I’ve seen a switch for sale that switches at the dryer outlet - either dryer or EV charger. That’s for people who don’t want to bother adding (or can’t add) a new circuit from the panel.

Or you could unplug the dryer, and run a 220 volt extension cord out the front door and into the garage.

https://www.amazon.com/220v-extension-cord/s?k=220v+extensio…

intercst

1 Like

Or you could unplug the dryer, and run a 220 volt extension cord out the front door and into the garage.

Sure. I have one of those extension cables in case I ever need it. But the switch allows you to run the dryer in the evening when your electric rate goes down (in some places) and then tell your car to schedule itself to start charging at midnight. You don’t have to unplug anything. Plus, those plugs are not rated for unplugging and plugging everyday, sometimes twice a day.

1 Like

Many people don’t understand that about home ownership. Over 30 to 40 years, you’re going to replace almost everything above the foundation (wood, wiring, plumbing, etc.)

Based on my experience: I disagree.

We’ve lived in our home for over 40 years and have only had to replace our roof.

Foundation, plumbing and wiring have all been untouched.

(Wiring may get touched today as electronic gate opener stopped working yesterday and a repair guy is due this afternoon.)

1 Like