How much time spent?

Hey Saul!

You are so on top of things I am just curious, how much time to you spend on your investments each day? From following the message, to reading, to watching programs on TV or videos online, is on the order of a full time job?

Thanks.

Jeb

1 Like

You are so on top of things I am just curious, how much time to you spend on your investments each day? From following the message, to reading, to watching programs on TV or videos online, is on the order of a full time job?

Hi Jeb, I do follow most all of the messages on the board, although occasionally there’ll be a thread that doesn’t interest me. I scan all the alerts I get by email from Schwab and Seeking Alpha, and I read an occasional Seeking Alpha article if it’s on one of my stocks and seems useful. I don’t watch ANY investing programs on TV or investing videos online. I read conference calls instead of listening to them as it takes MUCH less time. I have mostly given up reading stock specific boards on MF RB and MF SA (for example, Hubspot board, Shopify board) because the discussions are much more thorough on our board. I do scan MF articles about stocks I’m following. I guess I average about two hours a day on days the market is open, but a lot more for maybe 4-6 days each quarter, on the days when several of my stocks are reporting on the same day. It’s more an enjoyable hobby for me than a full time job.

Best,

Saul

For Knowledgebase for this board,
please go to Post #17774, 17775 and 17776.
We had to post it in three parts this time.

A link to the Knowledgebase is also at the top of the Announcements column
that is on the right side of every page on this board

18 Likes

You didn’t ask others, but I too spend about 2 hours a day. I start with investors.com to find new leads on strong grwoth stock near buy points. Verify the ratings and read recent articles. I build my google sheets list of them and set alerts (and occasionally) triggers in my Fidelity account. I try to post some things of interest on this board and I scan this board for threads of interest. No investing TV shows or magazines. Part of my money is in “IBD” growth breakout stocks. Part of my money is with my rule break stragegy (which takes no time). Part of my money is with growthier index funds (Fidelity total market, RSP equal wieghted S&P500 and VOE). Part of my money is with Stocks from this board.

There is often overlap between Rule Breaker stocks, good stocks on this board and strong stocks in IBD (investors.com). For instance, LGIH recently had a breakout on good volume and I was ready and did load up on that again. I have held ANET for a long time based on this board. I plan a trial position in MULE this week. This board gave me the comfort and confidence to start nibbling on SHOP after the fall. SQ was an IBD breakout stock and a favorite on this board so I had double reason to buy (maybe triple reason if you know what I mean).

etc.

It takes work to not just invest in index funds - or to not just follow RB blindly. I do have a strategy of following RB (more precisely David) blindly. Each month he has 2 RB picks and 1 SA pick. So I buy equal amounts of each of the three. I will do this about 2 years until that allocation is used up. This takes no time and no thought, and if just one of those does an “Amazon” for me it will be a huge win. I don’t feel the need to outsmart David, so just collecting his picks.

Criticism: if I buy 3 stocks a month for 2 years and keep them all, aren’t I must creating an index fund?
Answer: No, that is a fallacy I hear repeated around the fool on occasion.

Rationale: Most of the stocks RB recommends are small or mid cap stocks. If I owned a small cap fund that owned Amazon back in the early days, it would have been forced to sell it as it became a mid cap or large cap or became a huge part of its holdings. I NEVER will have to do that, thus I am nothing like an index fund.

I bought NVDA at $33, I may choose to never sell it. The next 5 years could be great for it. Who knows, I might own it long enough to get SpiffPops out of it.

So there goes part of my 2 hours :wink:

12 Likes