HUDL

Some local University of Nebraska geeks here modeled, built and went on line 8-9 years ago with a company called HUDL “huddle.” They aren’t public yet, but if they ever do an IPO, don’t wait for details, just beg your broker for as many shares as you can get. They have a tightly focused method of filming, reviewing and grading sports performances for their customer teams. Starting out with a few state high school clients who quickly blew away their opponents, they now do the film and review and grading functions - including hardware - for many (I believe most) teams in the NCAA (several sports), NBA, and NFL. It has grown exponentially from the start, and may not ever become public unless their expansion into other countries continues to flourish. There are so many willing “insider” investors right here in little old Nebraska, willing to invest whenever they need cash, no questions asked, that I haven’t been able to get even my foot, let alone my wallet, in the door.

So remember HUDL somewhere in your notes. It has reportedly become necessary for teams at all levels, to include HUDL contract functions to stay competitive, from high school to college to pro sports.

I think it would qualify even to Saul as very much recurring revenue, and I know they are already very profitable, if that matters. :slight_smile:

https://www.hudl.com/blog/hudl-continues-global-growth-with-…

In August 2013, according to Inc. Magazine, Hudl was the 149th fastest growing private company in the United States, and the fastest-growing private company in Nebraska.[2] Hudl was the fastest growing private company in Nebraska again in 2014.[3] By 2015, Hudl grew to 230 employees across four offices as it took on its first round of institutional funding in April with $72.5 million from Accel Partners.[4]

Hudl made Fast Company’s list of Most Innovative Companies in 2016.[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudl

In August 2013, according to Inc. Magazine, Hudl was the 149th fastest growing private company in the United States, and the fastest-growing private company in Nebraska.[2] Hudl was the fastest growing private company in Nebraska again in 2014.[3] By 2015, Hudl grew to 230 employees across four offices as it took on its first round of institutional funding in April with $72.5 million from Accel Partners.[4]

Hudl made Fast Company’s list of Most Innovative Companies in 2016.[5]

https://www.fastcompany.com/3056061/how-hudls-mobile-video-s…
How Hudl’s Mobile-Video Software Is Transforming Sports

You may not have heard of Hudl, but hundreds of thousands of coaches and athletes around the world have—and are using it to up their games.

They have offices in Lincoln, London, and (somewhere in Europe I have forgotten)

Lincoln, NE efforts to attract high-tech and startups to our Research parks has really been paying off. Hopefully I can someday interview a “Saul stock” for the group. :slight_smile:

Dan

3 Likes

I would have loved to have been an early investor in Hudl – or even a current one, for that matter. They pretty much have a monopoly on the space. I don’t even know who their competitors would be, if they have them. They have both sides of the equation: teams using it to break down film, and players using it to market themselves as recruits for college teams.

I work (somewhat peripherally) for one of their many clients, and can vouch for Hudl’s ubiquity in the market (as well as Raptor’s characterization of what Saul would consider “recurring revenue”).

1 Like

Interesting . . . What’s their moat (other than first mover)? I can’t see what they do that can’t be replicated by another company. Trade secrets, IP, what keeps them at the head of the pack? Success breeds competition. What’s to keep some deep pocketed geeks from Silicon Valley from out-doing this service from Nebraska geeks?