ICLR

I don’t post all that much or that often, but I read this board every day because board regulars serve up valuable nuggets fairly regularly. Thanks to Saul and this engaging crew, I’ve profited handsomely by buying UBNT, ABMD, PAYC and ESNT. My portfolio is significantly different from Saul’s portfolio but, hey, I’m not at all averse to appropriating great ideas. Consequently, there is overlap along with significant departures.

I would be remiss if I didn’t offer up an occasional recommendation of my own. Correction: I will build on a stock evaluation prepared by okapimoon in July 2015. It was quite detailed and a great effort. Please read his write-up first, as I will incorporate it in full:

http://discussion.fool.com/my-iclr-report-31831596.aspx?sort=who…

Sooo…back in the summer of 2015, ICLR was trading in the mid-$60s. I liked the financial metrics. Good growth with profitability tends to float my boat. Subsequently, the financial metrics remained strong. From this value investor’s perspective, this company chugs along quite well. I began accumulating shares around the $65 price point. Volatility proved to be my friend. The stock price would hit ~$80 on occasion, and I would harvest profits. Shares would fall back to the $60s and I’d buy more. It was a comfortable/profitable holding.

Now, here’s where I diverged significantly from okapimoon. He was impressed by the financials, but was concerned about the lack of a “moat” and no recurring revenues. Having spent a bit of my career conducting medical research trials, I had NO such concerns. First, the question of “moat”. Contract research companies evolved organically, typically starting with a researcher or two who gain a reputation for skillful conduct of medical trials. There aren’t all that many companies in this sector, and they pretty much all evolved the same. It takes time, effort, and long-standing relationships with doctors, hospitals, pharmas and laboratories to establish a bona fide contract research operation. These companies evolved over decades and now ICLR (among just a small handful) is world class. Recurring revenues? You betcha! Drug trials grow from laboratory studies to multi-phase clinical trials spanning YEARS. A promising drug is tested against ever larger and more complex cohorts over a long period of time. It’s not cost-effective to switch researchers between phases. The revenue just keeps streaming in.

Why am I talking about ICLR now? First, I’ve enjoyed decent returns on my investment since 2015. Second, all the current chatter on this board about immunotherapies is certainly exciting, but I’m not one to bet on a specific company. Too risky for me. Drugs die unexpectedly, even in Phase III/IV. Stocks get blown to pieces when promising candidate drugs fail (and they often do). It’s the research that keeps on going! The contract researchers keep investigating, keep conducting clinical trials. And there’s simply no end to promising therapies being lined up. Think back just a year or two: we learn of a promising therapy (often based on lab studies); the possibilities are SO promising such that the company goes public and raises millions/billions. Where does that money go? For clinical trials! Who is a leader in the field? ICLR.

Just to bring y’all up to date, I’ve been trading ICLR over time, buying in the $60s, selling in the $80s. I racked up a number of trades returning ~20% over the course of the past year. I sold all my shares in the beginning of the year in the $80s. Why did I sell? I was spooked by all the talk of drug price controls (even though I applaud the effort, I recognize the effect that would have on the pharma sector). Now I hear that drug price control notions are falling by the wayside. Meanwhile, ICLR has dropped below $80.

Yeppers, I’m back in.

13 Likes

Putnid - why does it never reach escape velocity and get past 80 if the growth fundamentals are so strong?
Cheers
Ant

1 Like

Hi putnid.

I like it! I’ve followed and owned a few biotechs in my time, but this is what I like to call a “picks and shovels” play (it’s not original, of course). Many people seeking gold in the 1800s lost everything, but the people who sold them picks and shovels did OK.

Can you tell us about the competitive landscape? You mentioned that there aren’t all that many, but that implies there are some…

Thanks and best wishes,
TMFDatabaseBob (no position in companies mentioned)
See my holdings here: http://my.fool.com/profile/TMFDatabasebob/info.aspx
Peace on Earth

1 Like

Hello Ant,

I view ICLR as a steady grower, not a momo stock. Five years ago, shares were selling in the $20s. If growth continues as it has, the value of the company will increase apace. It’s a strong contender in a healthy sector, not a “disruptive technology.”

1 Like

Yes! You hit the nail on the head, TMFDatabaseBob! It is very much a “picks and shovels” play. It’s the conservative way to play in the tumultuous biotech sandbox. It’s not a bet on a specific POTENTIAL winner. It’s a play on the fact that tremendous amounts of research dollars are being directed towards the development of new drug therapies.

As for the competitive landscape, I researched that in depth two years ago but I never kept my notes (and my memory grows increasingly suspect). As I remember, there were about a half dozen competitors. All were similar, though some were not pure plays. Some were private, some were subsidiaries of larger enterprises. I ran a bunch of head-to-head comparisons in 2015 and decided ICLR was a strong contender. I haven’t revisited the question since. Time permitting, I may circle back to the question, but I’ve been content with ICLR’s performance to date.

Thank you Putnit!
Very interesting company.
Here a quick analysis and comparative of the competitive landscape DatabaseRob asked for
Maria

http://www.capitalcube.com/blog/index.php/icon-plc-iclr-us-e…

2 Likes

Hi putnid,

I got quite interested in ICLR, and started researching it as an investment. But then I ran across this:

2013 earnings were up 77% from the year before.

2014 earnings were up 62% from the year before.

2015 earnings were up 39% from the year before.

2016 earnings were up 18% from the year before.

and

2017 earnings are guided to just up 8.5% from the year before.

Doesn’t this bother you? Just a little? I realize they are profitable and buy back shares and all the rest, but that’s a terrible sequential run of numbers.

Saul

5 Likes

Doesn’t this bother you? Just a little? I realize they are profitable and buy back shares and all the rest, but that’s a terrible sequential run of numbers. - Saul

Just like everyone, I want nothing more than to see earnings rise continuously to the high heavens. Too bad that so rarely happens. Having held executive positions with significant profit & loss responsibilities myself, I’m attuned to the challenges inherent in managing large business enterprises, particularly in today’s fast-paced age. If I find a well-managed company in a growing sector, then I maintain a keen interest. That’s not to say I simply buy and hold come hell or high water. I swing trade regularly, but I rarely part company with a good business altogether to pursue other opportunities.

When evaluating a company, I examine a wide range of factors, not just revenues and earnings. In the case of ICLR, I respect its track record and its standing within its sector. There will be ups and downs, of course, given that the CROs exhibit significant revenue concentration (the bulk of R&D spending comes from BIG PHARMA). In ICLR’s case, the sugar daddy is Pfizer. Each major CRO has its own sugar daddy. It’s well recognized within the industry that a broader customer base is welcome, and ICLR is making progress on that front.

I’m not suggesting that ICLR is the perfect addition to every portfolio. It certainly has a place in mine for a number of reasons. Each investor has to make his/her own decision.

For those wishing to conduct a bit more research, here are several links:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/icon-awarded-best-cro-world-0…

ICON Awarded Best CRO at World Vaccine Congress 2017

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4063370-icon-one-cheapest-c…

ICON Is One Of The Cheapest CROs Around: Shares Offer 50+% Upside Potential

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4047702-icon-operational-im…

Icon: Further Operational Improvements Achieved, Steady Growth Continues

Finally, here’s the slide deck from ICLR’s 2016Q4 earnings report:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4046643-icon-plc-2016-q4-re…

Icon PLC 2016 Q4 - Results - Earnings Call Slides

There’s lots of info to digest for those hungry to learn more.

3 Likes

When evaluating a company, I examine a wide range of factors, not just revenues and earnings. In the case of ICLR, I respect its track record and its standing within its sector. There will be ups and downs, of course, given that the CROs exhibit significant revenue concentration (the bulk of R&D spending comes from BIG PHARMA). In ICLR’s case, the sugar daddy is Pfizer. Each major CRO has its own sugar daddy. It’s well recognized within the industry that a broader customer base is welcome, and ICLR is making progress on that front.

putnid,

First let me say that I am only responding because I myself appreciate it when others try to poke holes in my investing theses, as I will now try to do in yours on ICLR.

For many of the reasons Saul demonstrated beautifully in another thread, it doesn’t seem to me, based on the financial trends, that any alpha going forward is likely with ICLR. Unless there is a new catalyst for increasing future growth, this company seems to have leveled off. Wall Street seems to have caught on as well, because the share price has done the same as the company: there hasn’t even been any appreciation in almost 2 years (price today is less than in August 2015). In other words, it’s losing greatly to the market over that period. The correct move now is, and has been for some time, to sell.

If there is to be a catalyst, what is it? You say ICLR is making progress on a broader customer base. What is the evidence of the progress they are making? If it hasn’t shown up in their revenues and earnings thus far, why do you think it might in the future?

Again, I do not claim more than a cursory understanding of this company, but what I have seen today points toward skepticism rather than enthusiasm. I’m only pointing out what I would challenge in any company that I look into. Happy to be corrected if I’m missing something.

Bear

2 Likes

Saul, those useful figures you cited on earnings and sales growth for ICLR - was there a website which gave you a short cut to them? Or did you calculate them ‘manually’? Thanks.

Saul, those useful figures you cited on earnings and sales growth for ICLR - was there a website which gave you a short cut to them? Or did you calculate them ‘manually’? Thanks.

Hi Streina, I went to the company’s investor relations site and scrolled back through the press releases for the quarterly reports. It doesn’t take very long at all. Getting figures like that from Yahoo or something, you don’t know what you are getting. If I’m considering an investment I figure it’s worth the time to get the actual figures.
Saul

3 Likes

I went to the company’s investor relations site and scrolled back through the press releases for the quarterly reports.

The NASDAQ site is a great and centralized source of information and it will remember your stocks for you. SEC filings, short interest, dividends, ownership, CC transcripts, options, and a lot more, a treasure trove!

http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/iclr/sec-filings

Denny Schlesinger

1 Like

Thanks Denny, good find!

2 Likes

Thanks, Denny and Saul for your replies.

Happy balloon day, Strelna!