Infinera - more sleuthing..

Let me preface this first that you should draw your own conclusions with what I just found. There could be many reasons to explain both LinkedIn’s algorithms and reasons people want to view other people on LinkedIn. But here is what I found.

I did a search for Infinera and Amazon (which I routinely do, along with Infinera and Google, Infinera and Apple, Microsoft, etc, etc.)

This time I got a rather interesting result that landed me onto a LinkedIn profile for someone that works at Infinera.

But this is not just anyone at Infinera:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/mike-dean-a59742

Mike Dean is the Senior Director of Professional Services in the Americas and at Major Accounts. He’s been with Infinera for the past 10 years 3 months.

While searching for Mike, LinkedIn users may also search and click on other people before or after Mike during their session. This “search list” is located on the right side under “People Also Viewed”. Perusing through Mike’s list contains people primarily working at Infinera which you’d expect - except for one peculiarity.

The third person on Mike’s “People Also Viewed” list is Bill Major, Head of Global Network Scaling and Integration at Amazon Web Services.

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=AAEAAAAbea0BxIPM9cF…

Bill Major works in the Washington D.C. area. Coincidently (or not) Mike Dean also works in the Washington D.C. area.

So, at least during a sample period of these last few weeks, enough people have looked at Mike Dean and his profile on LinkedIn together with Bill Major and his LinkedIn profile to warrant a correlation, for whatever reason. Usually this correlation across companies occurs when folks working for or under the “viewer” (who would be clicking on their leader frequently) start to search for someone together in regular succession. Simply stated, enough people working for Bill Major, Head of Global Network Scaling at AWS are also reviewing or becoming connected with Mike Dean, Director of professional services at Infinera for major accounts.

And now for the speculation: there has to be enough people from Bill’s company (Amazon) to warrant the correlation and causing his profile to show up on Mike’s list, and I can think of no better way for this to happen but through a multi-member implementation team looking to connect with Mike after it’s successful completion. At least that’s how it works in my industry and that’s how I see it. Less people are going to connect with you if the project goes sour or doesn’t complete, and thus nowhere near the hits substantial enough to trigger/cause the correlation.

As I said, please draw your own conclusions. I’m just calling it how I see it.

Best,
–Kevin

21 Likes

Just one more thing. Looking over the list of folks from Bill’s profile is another interesting observation. Most of the people in that list are from Windstream.

Well, as it turns out, Bill Major is actually from Windstream and recently joined Amazon in July. Windstream happens to be a major Infinera customer.

Funny how the world works :slight_smile:

Best,
–Kevin

3 Likes

I should have looked further. Scanning even further down Bill’s job history shows he used to work at Infinera. Hot damn. That’s really how the world works.

Best,
–Kevin

7 Likes