Invincible hypersonic ICBM nuke?

Reported by a scandal sheet (the London Daily Mail):

A weapon that Putin claims he can use to destroy the UK.

The first launch was carried out today from an underground silo at the Plesetsk spaceport in northern Russia
It is among Russia’s next-generation missiles that Putin called ‘invincible’, and been in development for years
Launch comes after Putin threatened use of nuclear weapons in response to perceived Western provocation
Russia claims 200-tonne missile could destroy the UK, hit any target on Earth and carry 12 nuclear warheads

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10735901/Russia-tes…

1 Like

16,000 mph. Moscow to NYC in under 18 minutes. If it works. And you seriously need to question if it works.

I hope we never have to find out. But I’m getting very worried about the possible use of nukes.

If Putin does use a tactical nuke in Ukraine, and warns everyone else to stay out “or else you get the big fast missile”, will anyone call his bluff? It will become the most dangerous game of chicken ever if he tries this.

2 Likes

Can the world not afford to?

2 Likes

I hope we never have to find out. But I’m getting very worried about the possible use of nukes.

and if Putin uses a tactical nuke in Ukraine?

bj,

Before any of this began the admin figured the endgame.

As the west stops taking Russian fossil fuels Russia can not afford its military. Arming the Ukrainians better and better will turn the tide. The US is now training Ukrainian men in how to use our artillery. Eventually as Russia falls Putin will be murdered in Moscow.

Invincible sort of implies that is a big improvement and the current generation of ICBMs and cruise missiles not effective and highly likely to be intercepted but I suspect that is not the case.

As I understand it anti-missile like the Israeli Iron Dome system are only really effective with short range rockets.

Are there any insights as to why this would be a game changer?

1 Like

Anti-missile defense systems like the U.S. Patriot system only work against “ballistic missiles” (i.e., something that falls in a steady arc). The hypersonic missile is controllable glider which can change direction at random – much harder to hit, especially if it’s moving at 4,000 to 5,000 mph.

intercst

1 Like

Watty asks,

Are there any insights as to why this would be a game changer?

2 minute video on hypersonic missiles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAipiOkCq-I

intercst

“Invincible” only if they tested it.

If they tested it the west would have detected the test.

I would not chicken out because 99% it’s a bluff.

The Captain

2 Likes

I forgot, even if it wipes out the UK, the UK subs would still wipe out the Kremlin.

It is still MAD. NO getting around it.

The Captain

6 Likes

It is still MAD. NO getting around it.

The Captain

Vlad’s bluff is just that, and a really stupid bluff at that.

In order to “win”, all he has to do is figure out how to nail the dozens of ICBM subs running around the world’s oceans. Each sub able to hit multiple targets with each of their multiple ICBM’s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_missile_submarine#Ac…

Vlad’s cheese has slid off his cracker; someone(s) in the Kremlin need to get him fitted with his white sports coat with the straps on the sleeves.

1 Like

The hypersonic missile is controllable glider which can change direction at random – much harder to hit, especially if it’s moving at 4,000 to 5,000 mph.

Intercst,

The US military recognizes one line of defense against them. Using the Patriot System and other systems to meet them half way. While that will not take out a hypersonic missile, if it changes its course the hypersonic can fall apart under the stress. Or the hypersonic wont make its target because the fuel is used up and it falls short.

The question is how does the west accurately defend against them?

Did you see the missile pop up before ignition. Looks like its designed for submarine use.

Did you see the brown fumes? Thats N2O4, dinitrogen tetroxide. Its a hypergolic (spontaneous ignition on contact) oxidizer with UDMH (unsymetrical dimethyl hydrazine). Hypergolic fuels avoid ignition problems in liquid fuel missiles.

N2O4 is a toxic gas. Can you imagine handling such a material on a submarine?

Wasn’t it the Russian submarine Kursk that was lost with all on board? Was the crew gassed by N2O4?

3 Likes