Is decontaminated diesel like clean coal, a rainbow unicorn of the fossil fuel industry?

2 Likes

I don’t see the phrase “decontaminated diesel” anywhere in the article you linked. The article doesn’t seem to be about diesel fuel contamination at all. It is about Cummins paying a $1.67 billion fine because its engines apparently produce too much NOx, and they allegedly tried to hide it with some sort of defeat device. As I recall, Volkswagen had a similar problem with its diesel engines.

From the article:
“The types of devices we allege that Cummins installed in its engines to cheat federal environmental laws have a significant and harmful impact on people’s health and safety," Attorney General Merrick B. Garland said in a prepared statement. “Our preliminary estimates suggest that defeat devices on some Cummins engines have caused them to produce thousands of tons of excess emissions of nitrogen oxides."

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Nitrogen oxides, or NOx, have more to do with the way the engine runs than the quality of fuel it burns. Specifically, NOx is produced at higher temperature combustion. Burning at lower temperatures produces less NOx. It isn’t a “contamination” issue, as far as I can see.

• Pete
2 Likes

Decontaminated diesel is my term. Low polluting diesel would have been better, but alliteration won. :man_shrugging:

Overall, it doesn’t matter much. There’s no such thing as decontaminated diesel, low polluting diesel, or clean coal.

For those as have an interest in it. My book is now published. Not sure whether such news is appropriate here anymore. I haven’t visited since before they changed the interface to allow us to have pictures.

4 Likes

title or ISBN please & thank you

1 Like

“Making Money Real”
Amazon 979-8869719539 (there’s also a Kindle)
Kobo 978-1991102036 (not sure it is there yet, I only put it in about 40 hours ago)

3 Likes

Congrats on your book.

1 Like

Welcome back, bjchip.
Long Time, No See.

• Pete
1 Like

I don’t think a $1.67 billion penalty is appropriate. I think what would be much more appropriate would be to make Cummins replace each and every engine with a new engine that is legally within the limits … AND pay a penalty of course.

I don’t see how just paying the penalty helps the atmosphere of the earth.

2 Likes

The Book

This introduction to Mahinism explains how to have markets without auctions, governments without taxes, and bank loans without interest; to fix society by following the laws of nature and

Making Money Real

I’m really interested in discovering the essence of money but have yet to find a satisfactory answer beyond my own musings. Not knowing the term I looked up “Mahinism” but Google does not have it.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Mahinism&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Did you mean:

Machinism

Mahanism

Mahayanism

Molinism

None of them seem about money

Googling Making Money Real brings up Making Real Money

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Making+Money+Real&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o

For markets to work efficiency you need standards. There is no way to compare shoes to shirts to sheets to sheds except by value. Money is that standard, the symbolic expression of their current value. Trade is the exchange of value for value of otherwise incomparable things.

As usually happens in complex systems, money is an emergent property of trade and as such it too can be traded as there is no one universal money, the closest being whatever is currently the.“world’s reserve currency,” the one most accepted in the world.

The Captain

2 Likes

I haven’t worked out how to persuade either Amazon OR Google to use the words “Money” and “Real” in a search without the fool things adding the word “Estate.”
This is a symptom of the problem. Nobody should be making money by owning property. Ownership by itself produces nothing.

I only got it into Kobo today. I know I’m going to have to sort the search results out. Not today.

You won’t find “Mahinism.” It is a word I created because I had to. The book describes how to organize a socioeconomic system that has never existed before. It explains the reasoning behind it. Mahi is te Reo for work.

I looked at Latin, Russian, German, and French - none of them could form the concept in a palatable form.
o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o
Money is any commodity that a society agrees to accept in exchange for all the other goods and services. No matter what form it takes, it is a commodity in its own right. The money you have is valuable to you because you have to exchange your work to get it.

Some people don’t have to, they are the owning class.

We can’t use “value.” That’s subjective, and it is ALWAYS subjective.

I agree that money can be “traded.” However, if a profit is generated in that trade, it violates the 1st law. Moreover, international trade that uses money in foreign exchange has to be backed by exchanges of energy stores that belong to the governments providing the respective currencies.

Forex is one of the nastier problems in any system.

2 Likes

i downloaded the Kindle sample! You state:

Real money represents work done.

We certainly agree on that but the agreement takes us in different directions, you to thermodynamics and me to markets. In other words you to the physical universe and me to complex systems, a manifestation of life forms, of biological systems that don’t simply behave following the laws of physics but have laws of their own, if we can call them laws. Stuart Kaufmann, my favorite Complexity scientist and biologist, explains it well.

A very long time ago some of us (management consultants) tried to find the equivalence between the physical world, between electricity, and the realm of human systems. As soon as we found a match we found reasons why it did not work. I’m afraid, in my view, money and thermodynamics don’t mix.

The Captain

1 Like

Did you ever try adding “-estate” to the search? In theory, that will search for all the words but eliminate those that have the words with a “-” in front of them. So try the search “money real -estate”.

2 Likes

That would be fair but I can’t expect people looking for MY book to do that.

I really do need to do some work to optimize where I come up in a google search.

Biological systems follow the laws of physics and ADD laws of their own; they do not break the laws of physics. The “laws of their own” you describe may obscure the physics underlying them, but they cannot go off in some other direction.

Our civilization can’t do it either.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0921800919310067

Yes, I am telling you flatly that you might be wrong.

The money you use represents work and is subject to the laws. It does not break them. It breaks something else, somewhere else, belonging to someone else when it tries.

In my book, I point out that war can be regarded as the second law asserting its dominance over human hubris, but that is only true of some of our wars. Humans find other reasons (e.g., Bitcoin) for wasting resources.

If you described your attempt, I might be able to explain why you could not “make it work.” Applying the laws involves defining system boundaries properly, and it is not always obvious what those boundaries are. That is probably the mistake I have most often made. :grimacing:

You’ll find more at my website link. The book loses somewhat with the absence of color in the digital Kindle and Kobo forms, but it isn’t horrible.

If you have a tablet or a reader that shows the colors, it’s a lot nicer.

I have to check what “Kindle sample” is being offered. I didn’t select it, so I don’t actually know what you saw (it IS my first book; I only imagine I know how that part of it works)

Good to be back

2 Likes

That is not news! :clown_face:

The rocks in my garden are made up of the same stuff as the Sun, yet they behave differently. The whole is more than the sum of the parts. The Sun has no use for money, neither does the stone in the garden. Humans do. All are made up of the same kinds of particles. What gives? Emergent properties of complex systems. The more complex the more “laws” that emerge while the older ones stay in place. If that were not the case the Universe would just be a soup of particles. When they get together, when they mate, new more complex entities emerge.

The Captain

3 Likes

They all obey the laws.

In every emergent property, they obey the laws.
Money isn’t “special,” it also obeys the laws.

To represent work done properly, money must accurately reflect what happens to work. It must experience entropy (2nd law, demurrage), and it can never result in more money in any pile of money unless more work is added to it (1st law, conservation of matter and energy). Applying these laws to the real world is not a trivial matter.

Henry George applied the first law.
Silvio Gesell applied the second.
Frederick Soddy wrote about this in the 1920s.
Margrit Kennedy wrote about it in the 1990s.

Economists denigrated and ignored all of them and every engineer in every economics course of the past 200 years. In that time, we have had massive economic collapses that economists cannot explain, ever-growing inequality, inescapable environmental destruction, and wars that should not have happened.

Maybe the engineers and the Nobel prize-winning radiochemists have a point.

The only thing that is damnably clear from the last 200 years of human history is that the socioeconomic systems provided by our economists are not fit for purpose.

1 Like

A federal jury in October 2022 found Milton guilty of one count of securities fraud and three counts of wire fraud…Nikola was temporarily worth $13 billion, making it more valuable than Ford Motor Co. The company’s shares, which opened at $65.90/share not long after it went public, closed at 87 cents on Monday…

Nikola’s shares began a precipitous decline after Hindenburg Research, an activist short selling firm, on September 10, 2020, released a devastating report on the company…

It was mostly smoke and mirrors. The company had acquired “gliders,” truck platforms without engines. In one notorious case highlighted by Hindenburg, Nikola in 2018 posted a YouTube videoof a battery-powered Nikola cab and trailer, “Nikola One Electric Semi Truck in Motion,” in 2016 moving rapidly along a desert highway. Hindenburg said the truck wasn’t moving under its own power. Nikola had towed the engineless truck to the top of a hill, and it was rolling because of gravity.

DB2

1 Like

The weakness in your treatise is the “laws” governing money are artificial and therefore arbitrary and changeable. The laws of physics may (or may not) be arbitrary, but they don’t change.

This constancy is what makes the physical universe predictable. E=MC^2 doesn’t change. In a closed system, matter/energy are conserved. In contrast, the money supply rises and falls. There is no equivalent relationship in money that can’t be changed by the Federal reserve or legislation.

It ultimately comes down to this. Can you identify a single “law of money” that can be demonstrated by experiment to be constant across history and societies?

Your own statements nicely define the problem:

One cannot define money independent of “value”, which makes the concept of money subjective and therefore not like a law or entity of physics. Money is a construct derived from human interactions. It is therefore subject to laws derived by humans, not the laws of physics.

5 Likes

I’m pretty skeptical that that the laws of physics apply to things that aren’t physics.

5 Likes