It’s coming for you

Here’s when machines will take your job, as predicted by A.I. gurus

An MIT study predicts when artificial intelligence will take over for humans in different occupations.

In the next 10 years, we should have A.I. do better than humans in translating languages (by 2024), writing high-school-level essays (by 2026), writing top 40 songs (by 2028) and driving trucks. And while the consensus may be that driving trucks may come by 2027, it’s easy to predict that this could happen even sooner, with top tech entrepreneurs like Elon Musk constantly pushing the envelope and promising these innovations earlier.

A chore that would take less time – folding laundry should be a breeze for A.I. by 2022. Other tasks might take longer, but still within the foreseeable future. It’s likely you’ll be around for these. We should get A.I.-driven machines in retail by 2031. By 2049, A.I. should be writing New York Times bestsellers and performing surgeries by 2053.

Overall, A.I. shoud be better than humans at pretty much everything in about 45 years.

Here’s the full chart:
https://bigthink.com/the-future/heres-when-machines-will-tak…

12 Likes

So an animated Disney studio predicted the future of humans?

See WALL-E. The description is about trashed earth being cleaned by an AI robot. But it is also about really fat humans floating around in space, doing nothing, controlled by AI.

1 Like

In the next 10 years, we should have A.I. do better than humans in translating languages (by 2024)

My oldest nephew is an MIT graduate now age 25 working in San Francisco at the largest of these multilingual translation companies. The main focus is taking YouTube videos and putting the dialog into a text file for SEO and other purposes. The company has several different functions along those lines. Much of it is simply spoken English to text but plenty of the work is involved with translation. One of their guiding principles is to work with native languages. Although many people speak English as a secondary language people wish to work in their primary language.

My Nephew interacts as a programmer with the AI people. He heads a small group of programmers. The company is growing fast.

If he saw this he would say no way is it true. His company will only get to 97% accuracy at best. Early hopes of over 99% wont happen. The machines AI can not do it. This is just the English spoke to text. AI is less able in translation modes. This includes text to text and spoken to text.

I am sure if you dig further back for such MIT reports you will find descending dates such as 2012 this will be accomplished and digging back further perhaps 2002....etc....
2 Likes

I will add something my nephew said about autos driving themselves over Christmas. I asked him about it.

We have that now. It is all set to go. But we have zero legal framework to allow it. If a vehicle driving its self needs to make a choice kill four people going straight or turn to avoid killing four people and instead only kill one person how is that choice made?

We have no way of sanctioning that as a society.

Until the legislators decide in a fully formed manner legally what that entails there is no way to go forward with a mass adaptation of the technology. That is MIT’s real thinking on the topic.

3 Likes

“An MIT study predicts when artificial intelligence will take over for humans in different occupations.”

I guess humans made these predictions. I wonder when AI will make better predictions than humans. It’s probably already happening.

I wonder when AI will make better predictions than humans. It’s probably already happening.

AI computer program humbles world’s greatest GO player:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXuK6gekU1Y

Worth watching for the emotions on the face of the man playing for all humanity’s honor.

Jeff

A chore that would take less time – folding laundry should be a breeze for A.I. by 2022.

Folding laundry is relatively easy…you just need the right mechanical dexterity to do it.
Probably harder: to know whose clothes are whose and putting them away!
Ever harder: not losing socks

Overall, A.I. shoud be better than humans at pretty much everything in about 45 years.

Sort of like how 100+ years ago one could predict that mechanical farming equipment is now much better at growing all sorts of food than manual farming techniques.
People moved on and found new things to do.

Doubtful that you’ll go in for surgery and never see a human doctor or nurse.
Or have a robot EMT show up in an emergency – by itself.

Just like farming, where the machines assist and amplify what a human can do, we’ll see lots of cases where AI and robots assist humans rather than completely replace them all, IMO.

Mike

3 Likes

Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

A chore that would take less time – folding laundry should be a breeze for A.I. by 2022.

Folding laundry is relatively easy…you just need the right mechanical dexterity to do it.
Probably harder: to know whose clothes are whose and putting them away!
Ever harder: not losing socks

After years of frustration and odd socks I discovered the perfect remedy. Buy 20 identical pairs and rotate through them. Own but do not wear a few special dress pairs kept for special occasions.

}};-D

1 Like