Kite wins very significant award

Kite Wins ‘Clinical Trial Result of the Year’ for its Pivotal CAR-T Trial of Axicabtagene Ciloleucel in Patients with Aggressive Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma at the 2017 Clinical and Research Excellence Awards

Business Wire April 6, 2017

Kite Pharma, Inc., (KITE) today announced that it won the Clinical Trial Result of the Year award for ZUMA-1, its pivotal CAR-T trial of axicabtagene ciloleucel, in patients with refractory aggressive B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL) at the Clinical and Research Excellence (CARE) Awards. The award recognizes clinical achievements in the pharmaceutical industry and contribution to the advancement of therapies for unmet medical needs…

So why is this important? There were those on the board who were making fun of the Kite study, saying that there wasn’t an active placebo comparison, and that they had changed dosage in mid-stream. The fact that THIS study won THIS award, as the most important clinical study of the year, in the entire pharmaceutical industry, says that we have been correct: this is breakthrough technology that has the potential to revolutionize cancer treatment. That doesn’t mean that it will be overnight, or that it will be immediately profitable, but it’s on its way to happening.

Just my opinion,

Saul

15 Likes

I love tulip mania! Not to mention the snide low blows & mockery!

By the way, have any of you actually read the study rather than the headlines yet? And compared it to other drugs on the market & in trials? last check it was obvious no one had.

When you do, and want to have a serious conversation and are willing to put down the pompoms and tulips, I’ll be around, but please leave the petty barbed comments to yourself.

3 Likes

Kite Wins ‘Clinical Trial Result of the Year’ for its Pivotal CAR-T Trial

Don’t know how you do it Saul. You decide to go into biotech and pick the one stock out of thousands that wins this kind of award.

I was curious how previous year winners have done since winning the award, but could only find last year’s winner. Maybe they haven’t been doing it that long. Last year’s 2016 announcement on April 28th, 2016 for 2015 trials was IPCA Laboratories which is traded on the Indian Stock Exchange BSE and the NSE. It was at 492 on the day of the announcement went down to 407 and is now at 637. I was hoping to get a larger set of data.

For those interested in probability of success and a description of each of the trial phases, I came across a good article on SA published 2 months ago.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4051661-investors-guide-cli…

It shows only 63% make it to Phase II trials (which the Phase I checked for safety), then only 31% of those make it to Phase III trials (which the Phase II checked for efficacy), then 58% of those make it past Phase III, and then 85% of those make it to approval with an overall for all diseases being about 10% of those that start Phase I make it to approval. A little higher than I was expecting actually.

It also shows a graph of the probability of Phase III success for each disease area which goes from 75% for Hematology down to 55% for Cardiovascular and then Oncology is last at 40% chance. Truly a flip of the coin type of investment to me though.

The award does refute those that said the trial was flawed. I doubt CARE is going to highlight and give it’s highest award for the year for a flawed test.

2 Likes

Don’t know how you do it Saul. You decide to go into biotech and pick the one stock out of thousands that wins this kind of award.

Actually it was bulwinkl that brought it to the board and wrote it up with enough information that I became interested, and read further.
Saul

1 Like

I have lived through too many emerging biotech cycles both as employee and investor, each with great technologies. Few succeed. Actually far less than few.

It seems that optimism sparkles here with every press release. That’s what good investor relations PR is all about.

Tread carefully, and invest only what you can afford to lose. This is gambling, not investing unless you have a seat at the table (and in many cases, even that doesn’t offer a clear view).

16 Likes

Tread carefully, and invest only what you can afford to lose. This is gambling, not investing unless you have a seat at the table (and in many cases, even that doesn’t offer a clear view).

Hi Roy,
I’ve tried to point out each time I talk about these companies that they are “play-money” speculations, that they have a long way to go, that they are burning cash, and that I am keeping my positions very small (by my standards, where my 11 regular positions average 8.5%). That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t discuss them, or that we should ignore the news that appears, or a rather significant award that they won.

Best,

Saul

6 Likes

Tread carefully, and invest only what you can afford to lose.

Yes, that’s exactly what I have done. If all goes well, this therapy will not take off like a rocket. It’s not a new pill, it’s complex, time-consuming procedure individualized for each new patient. Obviously, FDA approval would be a big deal if it happens, but revenues are not going to start rolling in a few months.