Kudos to Publix

The Publix chain is headquartered in Lakeland, FL. There are 1294 stores spread among 7 southern states. Publix was founded in 1930 and currently employs about 225K people. It’s those people that motivated me to write this. We are in southern FL 5 mos. a year from IN where alas, no Publix.

There are no people waiting to help people with self-check problems. Why? Because there are no self-checks, just two 10 items/less lanes. Instead, most cashiered lines are open and those checkers are fast and the registers don’t miss a beat. Long lines don’t stay long. They melt away fast, and there’s an equally fast bagger doing what the cashiers don’t have to do. This speeds up the checkout process immensely. And they’re careful: cold bagged with cold, eggs and bread often in their own bags. You get pleasantly asked if you need help loading your stuff into your car. I say well, maybe in a few years.

These employees know the store well. There have been a few times when a worker noticed a puzzled look on my face and stopped what they were doing to take me to my item, not just rattle off some aisle #. And they seemed glad to help and not po’d at being interrupted.

Little things matter, such as stopping at my car to get my cart and going a little out of their way to do it. Customers remember little things that enhance their shopping experience.

14 Likes

There are no people waiting to help people with self-check problems. Why? Because there are no self-checks, just two 10 items/less lanes.

That may be true for your location but the Publix stores in my area have self-checkout.

PSU

3 Likes

These employees know the store well.

+++
+++

They danged well SHOULD, cuz they OWN it!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publix

Publix is the largest employee-owned company in the United States.[7][8]

And, be aware that Publix did not expand beyond FLA until 1991.

sunrayman
satisfied patron {& yeah we gotz Helpers @ the self scanners}

1 Like

The Publix chain is headquartered in Lakeland, FL.

When we visit the Grandkids in Lake Mary (north of Orlando) we typically wind up making a couple of visits to Publix. Got to make sure they have some Miller Lites handy for the stay. Publix has always treated us OK. Both the wife and I have noticed that Publix tends to make hiring “older” folks a priority.

ImAGolfer

1 Like

The Publix heiress, Julie Fancelli, donated $650,000 to various groups to organize the January 6th rally, claiming the election was stolen. She was the single largest donor of any individual. I know Publix doesn’t control this, but I have a bad taste in my mouth.

Pardon me if I go to Kroger instead, where the clerks are nice, the staff knowledgeable, at least half the baggers are from the “disabled but able” category, there are more than twice as many electric handicap carts, and the union exists.

15 Likes

Business has boomed during the pandemic for Kroger, the biggest supermarket chain in the United States and the fourth-largest employer in the Fortune 500. It owns more than 2,700 locations, and its brands include Harris Teeter, Fred Meyer, Ralphs, Smith’s, Pick ’n Save and even Murray’s Cheese in New York City. The company, which is based in Cincinnati, said in December that it was expecting sales growth of at least 13.7 percent over two years. The company’s stock has risen about 36 percent over the past year.

But that success has not trickled down to its vast work force of nearly 500,000 employees, a number of whom have reported being homeless, receiving government food stamps or relying on food banks to feed their families. A brief strike in Colorado last month by workers, represented by the United Food and Commercial Workers Union, at dozens of Kroger-owned King Soopers locations brought renewed scrutiny to the issues of pay and working conditions for grocery workers, who have been on the front lines throughout the pandemic.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/12/business/kroger-grocery-s…

4 Likes

True. Find any big business that is morally pure. Walmart employees are on food stamps most of the time.

Our local Publix supports local schools and food banks and special Olympics.

“The Publix heiress, Julie Fancelli, donated $650,000 to various groups to organize the January 6th rally, claiming the election was stolen. She was the single largest donor of any individual.”

Good enough reason for me to never shop there if I am ever down South.

2 Likes

“The Publix heiress, Julie Fancelli, donated $650,000 to various groups to organize the January 6th rally, claiming the election was stolen. She was the single largest donor of any individual.”

That makes me feel a lot better about frequenting our nearby Publix store. :slight_smile:

Rob
Rule Breaker Home Fool
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

9 Likes

The Publix heiress, Julie Fancelli, donated $650,000 to various groups to organize the January 6th rally, claiming the election was stolen. She was the single largest donor of any individual."

That makes me feel a lot better about frequenting our nearby Publix store. :slight_smile:

So you’re in favor of the violent overthrow of free elections in the US?

Good to know.

That’s not meant as a compliment.

44 Likes

Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

Rob

Ditto here, if there were stores in CA.

(When travelling to GA or FL, I’ll keep Publix in mind for when I need groceries.)

5 Likes

So by that logic, if a XOM shareholder by the name of Rockefeller, who may be a distant relative of John D., donates money to a cause you don’t agree with you will never buy Exxon or Mobile gasoline again, huuuggh?.

FWIW, Publix heiress faces criticism for helping fund January 6 rally | Attack on the US Capitol

By Jessica J. Wales on December 9, 2021

Low-key American heiress living in Italy has been criticized for donating $ 650,000 to three organizations that helped organize and promote the January 6 political rally that followed the uprising on the United States Capitol by extremist supporters of Donald Trump.

Julie Fancelli, 72, who is the daughter of the founder of Florida-based supermarket chain Publix, has come . . . .

See https://scaraba.net/publix-heiress-faces-criticism-for-helpi… for article.
:wink:

C.J.V.

3 Likes

So by that logic, if a XOM shareholder by the name of Rockefeller, who may be a distant relative of John D., donates money to a cause you don’t agree with you will never buy Exxon or Mobile gasoline again, huuuggh?.

Everyone has a different tolerance when it comes to supporting businesses that support policies they disagree with.

Personally, I draw a hard line when it comes to supporting violent insurrections.

But that’s just crazy me.

AW

26 Likes

That would be nice, unfortunately there is no alternative that’s any better. All oil companies are run by soulless scum.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with supporting a ‘rally’.

This one got out of hand. So?

How many supported BLM activities when they decided to riot and start burning Portland and other cities when their ‘rallies’ got out of hand?

Which companies will you no longer visit because some large stockholder made a donation? hmmmm…

Same for the rallies in MN and other places.

I will never shop at Dicks (because of their anti-gun owner policy) and never buy a pizza from Domino’s. My preferences.

t.

9 Likes

I will never shop at Dicks (because of their anti-gun owner policy) and never buy a pizza from Domino’s. My preferences.

t

Have a rec. Concur.

Obviously, on this thread alone, there are a couple of ultra classified Useful Idiots. I refuse to read their brain droppings, but I have a feeling of their typical feeble sayings. Whatever connections they might have had with reality at one time have been permanently cauterized.

5 Likes

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FL_kOpdXoAQcOBW?format=jpg&n…

I stole it from HURL.
??
ralph

2 Likes

I’m as political as they come.

I just bought a treadmill (too cold and icy to walk outside) at Dick’s because they had the treadmill I wanted at the best price, which included delivery, set up, and hauling the trash. I tipped the delivery guys because they were nice and efficient. I didn’t ask their politics (I doubt they were similar to mine).

I never buy pizza from Domino’s either. I think it tastes crummy (I love pizza and consider myself a pizza aficionado).

Political as I am, not everything is political.

But, as I said, I do draw the line at armed insurrections.

My preference.

AW

9 Likes

So you’re in favor of the violent overthrow of free elections in the US?

Good to know.

That’s not meant as a compliment. – Goofyhoofy

Certainly not one of your more laudable and rational comments.

Rob
Rule Breaker Home Fool
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

5 Likes

As usual, it was Trumpworld graft and corruption. Seth Abramson has it covered here:
https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1428772037280026626

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis Awarded Vaccine Sites to Publix Just As Publix Heiress Julie Jenkins Fancelli Was Funding the January 6 Trump Speech That Launched An Insurrection

She’d also just donated a pile of money to DeSantis a couple of weeks before.

So yes, declining to do any business with Publix makes perfect sense if you object to this sort of thing.

-IGU-

5 Likes