Learn To Use Coupons and SHOP

MEK ~

I’ve been eating a lot of cabbage lately. Cheap, healthy and I like it.

Not only do I like coleslaw but, for the past year, I have been sauteeing cabbage
with thinly sliced onion and carrots and, when soft, I create a wreath in the pan
and put an egg in the middle to cook. Delicious!

Robyn

7 Likes

MEK ~

I’ve been eating a lot of cabbage lately. Cheap, healthy and I like it.

Not only do I like coleslaw but, for the past year, I have been sauteeing cabbage
with thinly sliced onion and carrots and, when soft, I create a wreath in the pan
and put an egg in the middle to cook. Delicious!

Robyn

Any Slaw Recipe’s to share?

I planted a Peach, Pear and Gala Apple tree. They were about 10’ tall and I was advised that I could receive a very small harvest at around 2 years but each year should be better than the last.

I got one pear off my tree after 3 years. It took about 6 years to get about 20 pears in one season. I don’t remember what variety it was, and I’ll confess to not being great about watering. (Texas)

Plums didn’t take long—I had about 10 plums a year after I planted my tree, with an abundance after 5 years, I think. I had one year with zero—no idea why. (Tennessee)

My mom’s apple tree produces tons of apples after 15 years, but they are always small and the squirrels are really bad about eating them (really mostly just taking a bite out and leaving them on the ground). (Tennessee)

If you live in a climate for them, fig trees are super easy to grow, and also easy to propagate (break off a branch, stick it in dirt and keep it watered—voila! New fig tree). My mom’s house has a MONSTER fig in the yard because we’ve never pruned it, so we can’t reach a lot of the figs anymore. Pretty tree, though. (Tennessee)

2 Likes

Any Slaw Recipe’s to share?

I’m making slaw tomorrow for the super bowl. My recipe: shredded cabbage and some carrots plus Marzetti’s Cole slaw dressing. (Dang! I gotta quit sharing these complicated secret recipes!) :grin:

My favorite spinach salad is spinach with marzetti slaw dressing, bacon, red onion and diced egg.

4 Likes

I planted a Peach, Pear and Gala Apple tree.

Do you know if you have any nearby neighbors with peach, pear and apple trees? They need cross-pollination from other trees to set fruit.

https://www.orangepippintrees.com/articles/planting-growing/…

PSU

2 Likes

PSU ~

I chose types that were self-pollinators. I know I cannot count on
other’s nearby trees (neighbors on both sides only have oak trees)
and I didn’t want to have to purchase more trees for cross-pollination.

You make a good point though.

Robyn

I used to be dismissive of coupons since, for most of the time we’ve lived in the US, that seemed to have been the case. Then we moved to Colorado with a local K8ng Soopers (Krogers) Old habits die hard and for a good couple of years, I routinely pitched the coupon envelope into the garbage without opening it. Husband happened to take a look inside one and noticed a coupon for something he thought I used. He was wrong on that one…but pretty much everything else there was usable.

Took a second look through the mail after reminders in this thread…and, lo, a postcard with extra savings. I ended up saving quite a bit on yesterday’s quick shopping trip that I would’ve missed (so, a thank you to the poster who mentioned that coupons don’t work for them)

Is it just me, or does it seem that the coupons are almost always for junk food rather than real food? I’ve been avoiding all junk foods since the spring of 2020, because I need all the virus-fighting and inflammation-fighting support I can get.

Oh no – not all junk! Look closely. But a lot of them ARE, I understand! Watch the date of expiration, too.

Good luck!

Veermonter

Is it just me, or does it seem that the coupons are almost always for junk food rather than real food? I’ve been avoiding all junk foods since the spring of 2020, because I need all the virus-fighting and inflammation-fighting support I can get.

That might have been true in the past but my coupons from Kroger, and actually other stores, are personalized and based on my pervious purchases so lots for fresh food - celery, mushrooms, cukes, lettuce, etc

However, it is tied to the shoppers card and I needed to sign up for it. Plenty of fresh, unprocessed food in the weekly ad as well & it’s also available online.

1 Like

Is it me, or does it seem that the coupons are almostalways for junkfood rather than real food

Yes.

Read some of the comments upstream. It depends where you look…in a way a bit like dining out. If your only experience is of establishments that serve up junk food, you’re likely to imagine that restaurant dining is automatically synonymous with craptaculous food.

I’ve made two shopping trips this week with a mind to utilize my King Soopers coupons as much as possible. Ended up saving almost $30 what with coupons and multipliers off a bill that would’ve been slightly more than $200 (bigger than usual because of the super bowel) Served to make me kick myself for the couple of years worth of money I lost because I didn’t bother to look at the right coupons.