Let's talk TAM

I am trying to collect information on TAM ( Total Addressable Market ) for my stocks. Some poking around has not lead to very fruitful results. I’ve had some luck finding it in investor-day presentation decks, but if anyone can lead me to a better source, I’d be grateful.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi doppelg36,

This is off-topic for Sauls board, but you should go through the company’s 10K/Annual Report, 10Q’s, and even CC transcripts.

https://discussion.fool.com/monday-morning-rules-of-the-board-34…

Best,
Matt

3 Likes

Matt,

I am trying to improve how I evaluate growth stocks. I see TAM as essential to evaluating a growth stock’s prospects. I would think that would make it one the most on-topic topics we could discuss.

Gross Margins and earnings growth are great, but obviously growth stocks are about looking into the future. I’d like to throw together a table of some interesting metrics including GM, earnings growth, EV/S, FCF, guidance, TAM, etc.

With stocks making new highs in P/S, I’d like to see how much leash to give these stocks to run. I already started scaling back on names in the 30’s, but I’d like to know if a company like ESTC has already gathered the low-hanging fruit, or just scratched the surface.

18 Likes

I am trying to collect information on TAM ( Total Addressable Market ) for my stocks. Some poking around has not lead to very fruitful results.

Hi doppelg36. I was discussing this same subject with an investing friend of mine. When I asked about the TAM he responded that he thought the TAM for many companies was essentially unknowable. What he found more helpful was considering “optionality”. That is, in what way could a company leverage some of their assets into an additional business. Like Amazon selling server space to create AWS.

Just another way to look at it.

Jeb

2 Likes

doppelg36,

I’m not the board host, but if he states basic investing questions are off-topic, then that’s the way it is.

If you wish to discuss the TAM of Mongo/Elastic/AYX, in context with each other then that would be okay, and I believe I mentioned where you should look for them. They all list $25 billion and up, so none of them are even remotely close. So take TAM with a grain of salt as well.

Matt

2 Likes

I’m not the board host, but if he states basic investing questions are off-topic, then that’s the way it is.

Too many Policemen spoil the Board.

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/too+many+cooks+spoil+th…

TAM happens to be a very useful metric for investors, specially for growth stock investors. Of course, since you think it’s off topic I’m not going to tell you about it! LOL

Denny Schlesinger

10 Likes