LG Exits Solar Panel Business

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/lg-to-exit-global-s…
LG Electronics Inc. is exiting the global solar panel business. The decision, approved Feb. 22 by the LG board of directors in South Korea, follows a comprehensive review of the impact of increasing material and logistics costs, as well as severe supply constraints, on the solar business.

The change in business strategy will impact about 160 employees and about 60 contract workers at LG’s corporate campus in Huntsville, Ala., where the company has been assembling solar panels since 2018. Panel production there is expected to continue into the second quarter.

The solar panel decision does not affect LG’s other extensive operations in Huntsville, where the company has been located for 40 years.

2 Likes

It wouldn’t be at all surprising to see more shoes to drop in the panel making business. Any industry that needs wide spread support of government subsidies to survive does not have long term promise.

If something works, if it is in demand, the market will see that it prospers. It cannot succeed when it needs to be fed, subsidized. Period.

LG can say all it wants about “increasing costs” and “supply issues”; they made a business decision that the panel biz is, long term, dead ended.

Good decision.

1 Like

If something works, if it is in demand, the market will see that it prospers. It cannot succeed when it needs to be fed, subsidized. Period.

Many industries are subsidized. Transportation is one such example.

Likely, even with the ‘buy American’ incentives in some purchase agreements, LG couldn’t make them cheap enough in AL to compete against government subsidized makers in Asia. And tax credits.

Sounds like LG ‘assembled panels’ in AL, but didn’t make the actual cells there but got them from elsewhere. No where have I seen where they actually make the cells anywhere.

"LG opened a solar plant in Huntsville, Alabama in 2019 with a total capacity of 550 MW. "

https://www.lg.com/us/solar/blog/outsourcing-not-lg-our-sola…

With major projects of that size going in every few weeks, LG is a smaller provider.

LG seems to have focused on the home market with a partner - enough for 91,000 new homes a year at 6KW per home.

A lot of folks have bit the dust in the solar panel industry.

t.

1 Like

We do have numerous polysilicon plants in the US. The oldest and largest is Dow Chemical in Midland, MI. Early in the dotcom boom, major companies built more capacity. Most went to integrated circuits; scaps went to photovoltaics. Solar panels changed demand.

Making the individual photovoltaic squares is the easy part. The labor part is wiring them into panels. Automation required.

Anyone care to guess how expensive oil would be, and how volatile its price, if it were not for decades of US Military patrol of the Persian Gulf and protection of The Kingdom? If that is not a gov’t subsidy I don’t know what is.

6 Likes

bjurasz

Anyone care to guess how expensive oil would be, and how volatile its price, if it were not for decades of US Military patrol of the Persian Gulf and protection of The Kingdom? If that is not a gov’t subsidy I don’t know what is.

I’ll take a shot. And my guess is that there are more than a few of your ducks that you have failed to line up.

That would be my guess.

Subsidy for whom? I don’t think oil companies would mind higher priced oil.

DB2

3 Likes

Earlier today, Tim posted an interesting article about US forces engaging a Russian militia in Syria. A small number of US troops handily defeated a much larger force, thanks in large part to superior US equipment, including thermal imaging systems, remotely controlled guns, missiles, rocket artillery, attack aircraft that were able to loiter above the battlefield, and of course the battlefield was being surveilled by drones.

I wonder what the direct costs of that battle were? I’d guess easily in the tens of millions. The Russians’ objective: A Conoco gas plant.

The reality is we don’t have much choice but to spend that kind of money on a crappy gas plant. Our economy and the world economy is dependent upon a reliable supply of gas and oil. History shows that if that supply is interrupted, our economy will crater, erasing literally trillions of dollars from the GDP. Hence the reason our military is parked in the Middle East.

I highly recommend every METARite read “The Prize” by Daniel Yergin

https://www.amazon.com/Prize-Epic-Quest-Money-Power-ebook/dp…

It is a history of the oil industry, which in actuality is a discussion of how oil has influenced nearly every geopolitical event since the 1850s. Everything points back to oil in surprising ways I had never thought of. Although the book was written in 1991, it is still topical in the current day. U.S. troops are in Iraq because of oil. Putin is in power because of oil. And how does Gazprom affect German policy? Maintaining our oil-based economy requires we park our military overseas and engage in near-continual foreign conflicts. Either directly, or through proxy. For example, taking sides in the Yemeni civil war. What interest could we possibly have in Yemen? Besides the three to nine billion barrels of oil reserves, you mean? A previous poster lamented solar subsidies. Fair enough. How much has the US spent in Yemen? If you don’t know, you are in good company. No one knows. Our “allies” are supposed to reimburse us for use of our crews and aircraft, but no one seems to be able to find the checks or invoices.* Funny how that works. On the flip side, we’ve spent about $4 billion on humanitarian aid in Yemen to help fix the humanitarian crisis we helped create.

It is clear to me it is in our obvious best economic and security interests to decouple our economy from oil as rapidly as it is practical to do so. There is a clear path forward. And it is cheaper, easier, and more reliable than trying to bomb our way into energy security.

*By a show of hands, how many people knew that American crews and aircraft had participated in the Yemini civil war?

13 Likes