Lightening notes

an interesting thought… on inflation and a company with heavy assets

The outperformance continues.

Long may it last.:ok_hand:

Hey Jim, I just can’t understand why BRK-A volume is so elevated. Today it was over 2,900 shares.

Would welcome and any thoughts.
Respectfully,
Paul(Long BRK-B shs&BRK-B Leaps)

3 Likes

Hey Jim, I just can’t understand why BRK-A volume is so elevated. Today it was over 2,900 shares.

I have no answer.
But, like my mom before me, I’m never at a loss for an opinion.

One idea: some sovereign wealth fund is accumulating.
They figure that in the long run the voting rights are worth more yet command no premium, so are the better choice.
The relative liquidity doesn’t matter so much because they’re not intending to trade in and out.

Or some very very rich buyout fund is going to attempt a takeover in a few years.
Seems unlikely, not because it’s impossible, but because they don’t have that kind of patience.

Or there was simply some change in the way that A-share volume was reported.

Jim

5 Likes

PS, for those not paying attention:
A-share volume since Feb 2021 has been around 1300 A-shares per day higher than the typical volume in the prior decade. Round numbers about 1660/day vs 340/day before.
That’s about $150bn worth of apparent “extra” trading so far. Or $180bn worth at today’s prices.

The first thought would be buybacks, but they’re not nearly that big.

Maybe it’s just a change in reporting of off-exchange trades or something meaningless.

Jim

3 Likes

Maybe it’s just a change in reporting of off-exchange trades or something meaningless.

My broker (TDAmeritrade) reports out-of-hours trading. I do not know where they get their numbers.

Right now it is 9:01; i.e., about a half hour before market open.
BRK.A
Bid: 511,560.00 Ask: 518,438.00 Last: 518,438.00 Chg ($): 0.00 Vol: 0
(BRK.B have 15.34K trades.)

Now it is 9:42 and market is open.
BRK.A

Bid: 518,400.00 Ask: 518,792.00 Last: 518,584.03 Chg ($): 146.045 Vol: 572

1 Like

Now it is 9:42 and market is open.
BRK.A
Bid: 518,400.00 Ask: 518,792.00 Last: 518,584.03 Chg ($): 146.045 Vol: 572

Interesting.
I guess it would be smart to be a buyer during the “market on open” or “market on close” auctions.
No bid/ask spread to pay.

Speaking of odd trading behaviour, has anyone else noticed this:
Berkshire B shares often trade very high in pre-market in the last couple of weeks.
Higher than the high of the day before, higher than the open, and sometimes higher than the high during the trading day that is about to start.
And not just a few shares, either. B shares are more liquid in pre-market than A shares are during the day.

Jim

6 Likes

Technical trading around the $500k mark? $500,000 is a very even psychological round number, whereas $333.333333333 is much less so

Speaking of odd trading behaviour

There are a quite a few such behavior ppl are noticing, the share prices closing 333, 666, 999, 123. These are not random. There seems to be a pattern.