Liquidators sell excess inventory

When the cycle is done, I pull out the top rack, tip the mugs over onto their sides to let the excess water spill onto the inside of the dishwasher door, then close everything back up leaving the door cracked open an inch or two.

That’s a good idea! But I would then have to make sure the mugs are all towards the front of the machine. Also, I have Bosch machines now (the top of the line KitchenAids that we had previously both died due to bad mechanical design and I was very annoyed) and they recommend keeping the door shut to aid in drying. Not sure why exactly. I probably need to check the user guide again, it’s been a few years.

1 Like

I’m in the market for a new fridge.

DO NOT get a Samsung. Ours is about 5 years old and we have had multiple issues with it, mostly involving the in the door ice maker/dispenser.

As far as deals, mostly looking for wood working machines to go on significant sales. But that is like everything else, you can set a budget and then find something to blow right through it.

JLC

I’m not sure whether to replace our 1987 Westinghouse washer, dryer, dishwasher and refrigerator since they are workhorses and still chugging along. I’ve read that the latest versions are inferior in quality.

Washer/dryer–are they both readily (i.e. cost of parts AND lead time to get it done) repairable? Or not? Cost of an inspection is cheap compared to having to “buy now !!” because yours just broke. Once you know those answers, you can plan for the future.

Refrig–probably replace IF you can find a new one you like. Decent energy savings.

Dishwasher–same as fridge (readily repairable?). Energy savings too. Find one you like.

I have used countertop dishwashers for 20+ years now. Danby brand–made by Medea in China. $150 to $200. Single pullout rack. I run it once every 6-8 days. Works for me.

I use a laundry service, so no investment in laundry equipment for me !!

… mostly involving the in the door ice maker/dispenser.

I’ve never heard anything good about those … of course I’ve never owned one.

Tim

… mostly involving the in the door ice maker/dispenser.

An ice maker is not mission critical.

None of the apartments I lived in over the decades had an ice maker in the fridge.

When I moved in to the condo, the fridge had an ice maker inside the freezer, but it was turned off and the water was cut off in the basement. Never bothered with the thing.

When I got the new one some 15 years ago (Whirlpool), which has an in-freezer ice maker, the guys hooked up the water and I turned the valve on. It worked. Thought it had packed up a couple weeks ago. Turned out a cube had gotten jammed in the mechanism. I removed the offending cube and it started working again. I barely care if it works or not. Would never consider paying to have it repaired.

Steve

1 Like

I just open the door a crack when the cycle is done.

Anyway, with all dishwashers, the mugs always have a pool of water on top of their bottoms.

Which is why we:

1. Open the diswasher
  2. Pull out the top rack and tip over the mugs to drain, as well as pull out the plastics to dry in the counter rack
  3. Push back in the top rack to get to the bottom rack and deal with standing water there as well
  4. Pull the top rack back out

It’s remarkably easy, and that way I don’t have to agonize over whether plastics will survive on the bottom rack, as well as save energy. Dries pretty quickly if done while hot, but I am fine with the dishes hanging out in the dishwasher a while.

Nothing is perfect, but most things are possible.

IP

3 Likes

Anyway, with all dishwashers, the mugs always have a pool of water on top of their bottoms.

If that is such an issue, why not take a towel and dab the water out of the cup bottoms, then leave them in the rack to finish drying?

Steve