Lloyds accused of trying to bury bad news

Lloyds accused of trying to bury bad news as it closes another 66 bank branches

Some towns will lose their last surviving bank, as another 66 close next year

Lloyds axed 150 branches this year taking the total branch closures to over 400

Lloyds said visits to the 66 banks had fallen by 60 per cent over five years

Derek French said bosses are ‘falling over themselves’ to shut high street banks

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11042727/Lloyds-acc…

2 Likes

I’m surprised they have survived this long!

sunrayman
phormer Suffolk resident

With ATMs and online banking, who needs branches? My euro account is with an online bank. The local “branch” is a small space in a commercial mall with about three staff and an ATM. Across the aisle there is a moneyChanger that took care of me when I only had US$ and a copyShop that helped me sign up.

The Captain
likes his onLine bank, the closest branch is in my lapTop or SmartPhone.

The bank is in El Corte Inglés which used to have a Tesla display stand

https://www.elcorteingles.es/

If German used CamelCaps (moneyChanger, copyShop) it would be a lot easier to read
https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&client=safari&…

2 Likes

We’ve been into a bank maybe 5 times in the last 25 years. I think that’s a high estimate. Our money is currently an 8 hour drive from the house. Bank branches are largely outdated.

IP

Bank branches are largely outdated.

And yet they keep building them. There are two new ones within a 10 minute drive from my house. There are another two that have been put up in the last 5 years.

I don’t get it either, but they must know something, or else they’re doing so well they have money to burn,

1 Like

I don’t get it either, but they must know something, or else they’re doing so well they have money to burn,

My guess it that it is to bring in new customers. I don’t think you can open a new account remotely, especially since 9/11.

DB2

HSBC has pulled out of the NYC retail banking market.

In addition, bank hosted “safe deposit boxes”, the only major use that our local branches provide to us, are being closed in branch after branch. We have redundancy (boxes at more than one bank), but space is becoming constrained with waiting lists where ever they continue to exist and the handwriting on the wall is clear.

Jeff
(Currently in the market for a small fire-proof safe to hold paperwork previously stored at banks.)

We’ve been into a bank maybe 5 times in the last 25 years. I think that’s a high estimate. Our money is currently an 8 hour drive from the house. Bank branches are largely outdated.

If I recall correctly, I’ve been in a bank twice since we retired 12 years ago.

Once to deposit a check, because I couldn’t find an ATM that took deposits.

And once to take in a bucket of coins. Some supermarkets have coin-counters, but take a cut of the change - and no such supermarket machines (or supermarkets) in that town. Banks typically don’t take a cut.

Over those same 12 years, I think we’ve been in the same state as a branch of our bank only six times in five different years.

Some supermarkets have coin-counters, but take a cut of the change

Coinstar machines allow you to choose a Gift Card option that does not take a cut.
Since I occasionally use Amazon, I choose that. When I get home I redeem the gift card into my account. It’s there to spend the next time I order something.

Spiffy

4 Likes