long term memory

Outside my area of expertise, but it sounds like there may be benefits to restoring the protein folding mechanism. Too late for 1poormom, but maybe not too late for me and 1poorlady (should we ever need it).

https://neurosciencenews.com/protein-folding-memory-20237/

Summary: A novel protein folding mechanism in the endoplasmic reticulum is essential for long-term memory storage. This mechanism is impaired in tau-models of Alzheimer’s disease, but restoring the protein folding mechanism reverses memory impairment associated with dementia.

Source: University of Iowa

Fascinating research! So this team has found the gene responsible, and worked with mice to delete that gene, resulting in memory problems, and then restoring the gene—which repaired the memory problems! I just hope this translates to the same effectiveness with humans! I wonder how long it will be until they have a therapeutic that they can test in humans.

=sheila

1 Like

I had you in mind when I posted it. I’d normally post this on my “home” board, but you don’t go there. So I had to post it here. At least this is on-topic for the board (sort of).

1poorguy

lol!!

What is your hoem board?
=sheila

1pg: Outside my area of expertise, but it sounds like there may be benefits to restoring the protein folding mechanism. Too late for 1poormom, but maybe not too late for me and 1poorlady (should we ever need it)

I have some memory loss. I can’t easily make new memories. We moved to a retirement home six months ago. I still don’t know my telephone number or zip code. OK, I haven’t sat down ant tried to pound these into my brain, but I never had to do that in the past. We have met a number of our fellow inmates, but I don’t remember their names or sometimes their faces. (Actually, I do, but I have to be reminded.) I have wondered if there is some way to “get better”?

CNC
… Remember a movie, “Memento” about a guy who couldn’t make new memories. Apparently called anterograde amnesia.

What is your hoem board?

Atheist Fools.

Don’t let the name fool you. We have theists there, too. Mostly atheists, but as long as people don’t preach to us, we’re cool with them. We talk about everything from history to politics to science. We even had a discussion about the oldest music that was ever recorded (turns out it was MUCH older than I expected, having been translated from cuneiform tablets).

Lots of science posts there.

Oh…should probably post a link:

https://discussion.fool.com/atheist-fools-113855.aspx?mid=350805…

As long as you bring data, we don’t bite. :slight_smile:

"As long as you bring data, we don’t bite. :slight_smile: "

Faith is one of those things in which data analysis is not really considered an effective tool.

Howie52
Number crunching might resolve such things as “how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.”
But I would not pin many hopes to the approach.

However, people are people regardless of their belief - and one can find interesting things from
people.

2 Likes

Number crunching might resolve such things as “how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.”

Number crunching? Not for such an obvious answer — zero! :slight_smile:

=sheila

Actually, we don’t talk about religion that much. Occasionally. Especially if it hits the news in some manner. Talk there is more about literature, philosophy, science, politics, and pretty much anything else people want to talk about. One poster is trying to pontificate about cosmology over the past few days.

Not so much angels, though.

Actually, we don’t talk about religion that much.

Once you agree that there is no god, that discussion is pretty much over, no?

Back in the day we would get the occasional itinerant preacher who was going to persuade someone, but they seem to have lost interest. I believe some have made a foray into the Christian Fools board, which is pointless, and rude.

CNC

Once you agree that there is no god, that discussion is pretty much over, no?

I did forget to mention the schism between the liberal Northern Atheist Society of Freethinkers and the conservative Southern Conference of Atheists. Then there was the Missouri Synod of Atheists.

I am a real atheist, thank God.

CNC

1 Like

“Once you agree that there is no god, that discussion is pretty much over, no?”

Seems as though it would not be - as long as faith remains.

Howie52
And if there be theists amongst the board posters, a modicum of faith seems to remain.

“Back in the day we would get the occasional itinerant preacher who was going to persuade someone, but they seem to have lost interest.”

There is a saying about horses and water that is likely appropriate here.

3 Likes

There is a saying about horses and water that is likely appropriate here.

Faith is a dry riverbed. But I won’t comment further on this board. Sheila asked me what board I frequent, and I answered it. Hopefully she’ll pop over. A bunch of really smart people over there, with a range of expertise (from physicists to doctors to environmental engineers to aerospace engineers, and more).

1 Like

Howie: There is a saying about horses and water that is likely appropriate here.

Which, to come back to the subject of this board, I can’t get my MIL to even consider a retirement plan. “I will just die in this house.” She forgets the three years she spent caring for her dying husband as he was confined to a hospital bed.

CNC

1 Like

"I did forget to mention the schism between the liberal Northern Atheist Society of Freethinkers and the conservative Southern Conference of Atheists. Then there was the Missouri Synod of Atheists.

I am a real atheist, thank God.

CNC "

Disagreement is a human activity honed over the years to a knife edge. Folks always need to
try to ensure the edges don’t cut other folks. But by the same token, folks need to ensure they
do not leap heart-first onto an edge.
Discussion of religion - or lack of religions - can tend to lead to sharp divisions even when
the discussion is merely stating points of view. The concept of “forced conversion” has tended
to be a point of contentions - but few folks ever expect the Spanish Inquisition these days.

Howie52
Not planning on visiting the atheist board any time soon.

1 Like

"Which, to come back to the subject of this board, I can’t get my MIL to even consider a retirement plan. “I will just die in this house.” She forgets the three years she spent caring for her dying husband as he was confined to a hospital bed.

CNC "

Trying to actually get a person to take action is difficult. Discussions about retirement - and
moving - and assisted living take a series of talks. Sometimes leaving stuff around to read can
help - but being available to talk and explain - and bringing the topic up like a broken record
is a way to get a person thinking.

Howie52
Retirement planning and moving into a different living arrangement are not typically considered
the same thing - which are you suggesting to your MIL?

1 Like

“Faith is a dry riverbed.”

Or a fountain in the dry sands.

Howie52
Largely a function of the individual and their individual needs, wants or desires.

2 Likes

Howie52: Retirement planning and moving into a different living arrangement are not typically considered the same thing - which are you suggesting to your MIL?

I’m sorry. I thought it was clear, but we have tried to get her to visit one of her local retirement facilities. So far, no can do. Nothing urgent, although her heath is failing a bit. Failing eyesight, trouble walking (She is 86.) Financially, she is able to live wherever she wants.

CNC

"Retirement planning and moving into a different living arrangement are not typically considered the same thing - which are you suggesting to your MIL?

I’m sorry. I thought it was clear, but we have tried to get her to visit one of her local retirement facilities. So far, no can do. Nothing urgent, although her heath is failing a bit. Failing eyesight, trouble walking (She is 86.) Financially, she is able to live wherever she wants.

CNC"

The more difficult one.
DW and I had no luck with either of our mothers until they were pushed into a corner - one
from macular degeneration taking her sight and the other having spine curvature reducing her
ability to move. My mother basically lived in assisted living for 7 years - every year saying
she wanted to be home - her house. I sometimes think we - the family - should have done more
to get her back to the house even though her life would have likely been cut shorter. Her home
had been built in 1888 or so - and had been the only home she had ever known. The place was not
suitable for a blind life and was not really able to be changed - so there was not really much
any of us could do. But she hated the assisted living place - even though it was what I
considered a pretty good one. DW’s mother hated her place marginally less but never really
socialized or adjusted to life.

The only advice I can offer is to keep suggesting - keep talking about the whys - the wherefores

• and try to show the lady some of the benefits of the approach. We did have some success with
    relatives when some of the socialization activities were able to be used as an “entryway” -
    they were card players - euchre is quite popular in the mid-west. Some hook might be available
  • say a knitters club or book club?

Howie52
good luck

1 Like