MagicJack user experience Brazil

I arrived in Brazil today. I downloaded the MagicJack app from my iPhone 5S before leaving on this trip. Today, I used it for the first time using the Wifi network where I am staying in Rio de Janeiro. I placed a call to a 1-800 number in the US to take care of a financial transaction through my bank. The call quality was terrible. Both ends cut out at least 50% of the time. When I moved to the room that had the wireless router in it, the connection was better but still not as good as I am accustomed.

I would conclude from this experience that the MagicJack app requires a strong wifi connection to provide a good phone connection. Note: I did not buy the MagicJack hardware so this might improve the call quality.

4 Likes

Thanks for trying and providing feedback on using the MagicJack app in Brazil.

I believe you are also a MELI shareholder and I would be interested in hearing any feedback you get from Brazilians you talk to while in Brazil on what they think of Mercadolivre. This is MELI’s biggest market, so hearing feedback from the locals there would go a long way in understanding how well MELI is doing there.

I plan to go to Sao Paulo at the end of August and will be asking Brazilians I talk to about Mercadolivre. I’ll post the feedback on the RB board when I get back.

Enjoy Rio! It’s a beautiful city. Not sure how long you’ll be there, but enjoy the World Cup celebration environment. Not sure if you will be there through Sunday, but the championship game will be in Rio that day.

1 Like

I would conclude from this experience that the MagicJack app requires a strong wifi connection to provide a good phone connection. Note: I did not buy the MagicJack hardware so this might improve the call quality.

Hi Gaucho Chris,

falla portugues?

Could you try that app in the lobby or wherever the WiFi signal is strongest? That would help us discover the limits of the app. I’ve been in hotel rooms and had to go to the lobby to use the wi fi signal due to a weak enhancer on my floor.
mykie

I believe you are also a MELI shareholder and I would be interested in hearing any feedback you get from Brazilians you talk to while in Brazil on what they think of Mercadolivre. This is MELI’s biggest market, so hearing feedback from the locals there would go a long way in understanding how well MELI is doing there.

Not sure how long you’ll be there, but enjoy the World Cup celebration environment. Not sure if you will be there through Sunday, but the championship game will be in Rio that day.

Yes, I came to Brazil for World Cup to watch Germany in the semifinal and final. I was at the semi-final yesterday and watched Germany crush Brazil. For any soccer fan, seeing this match live was a once in a lifetime experience. I still need to find a ticket for the final match so I went onto Mercadolivre to look for tickets and didn’t see any offered. I expect a lot of Brazilians will be keen to sell their tickets to Germans and Argentinians. I did see a number of tickets offered on eBay. Maybe eBay is more for foreigners and ML for locals? Unfortunately, I don’t have any more feedback on MELI.

Chris

1 Like

Could you try that app in the lobby or wherever the WiFi signal is strongest? That would help us discover the limits of the app. I’ve been in hotel rooms and had to go to the lobby to use the wi fi signal due to a weak enhancer on my floor.

Mykie,

I am renting a private apartment. The wireless router is in one of the bedrooms. For those who are interested and know about wireless routers, the one here is a Belkin (model F6D4320-4-V3) I made my call from the living room and the call had terrible quality. I used my phone maybe 20 feet from the router (with walls between too) and the call was so bad that most of the conversation cut out. When I went into the room with the router, the call was pretty good but not as good as I’m used to).

I have about a 2.5% position in CALL. It’s probably first on my list to sell if I need cash to buy something else.

Chris

PS: No, I speak no Portuguese.

http://www.stubhub.com/fifa-world-cup-tickets/?ae=1

http://www.ticketnetwork.com/tix/2014-world-cup-match-64-ger…

http://www.eseats.com/production/407947/fifa_world_cup_socce… wiggle the mouse on the seating area interested in

Good luck and enjoy the game.

Quillnpenn -

3 Likes

re: Majjic Jack

Belkin model N Wireless Router # F5D8236-4. First power cord got hosed. On the second one now.

Magic Jack Plus inserted into an electrical outlet then to router.

Panasonic 6.0 plus single hand held cordless phone # KX-TG4011 (silver) from Radio Shack. Lighter than a cell phone.

Quillnpenn - as a swing trader of CALL

Wooter,

Yesterday, I had an opportunity to ask the person, from whom I renting the apartment, in Rio some questions about MELI. He knows it and he thinks it’s the place to go if you want to buy and sell stuff in Brazil. He and his wife are in their late 50s so they are probably less likely to be tech savvy than younger people. It’s just one data point on MELI, but I thought I’d pass it along.

Chris

2 Likes

Thanks Chris. I appreciate you sharing the feedback.

Enjoy the game on Sunday. I was born in Holland, so I’m a little dissapointed to see them not make it. Germany and Argentina should be a good matchup though.