Market Cap Example: Wix

Wix is never going to be a $100 billion company. It’s never even going to be a $30 billion company with the current business model. How can I say that so confidently? Unit economics.

Wix makes around $171/year from each of their 4.3 million paying customers. That’s $735 million/year. But where are these numbers headed?

It doesn’t take much more than common sense to tell that 4.3 million is a lot of websites. I have no idea if they’ll get to 8 million or 10 million, but I’ve got a pretty good sense that they won’t get to 50 million. How many people of the 7 or 8 billion in the world:

a) need a website
b) are willing to pay $171/year for it
c) are able to pay

Mostly small businesses, of which there are millions. But Wix already has millions of customers, plus 150m+ users who don’t pay. They’ll convert a few million of them over the next few years, but it isn’t hard at all to see this petering out in the near future.

It’s also hard to imagine they can keep squeezing more out of them each year. Maybe that $171 goes to $200, but it’s going to meet resistance somewhere, especially from those who would have already churned if it weren’t so cheap.

Expectation Ranges

Worst case, I think ARPU stalls out at $200 or so, and Wix is only able to sign a couple million more paying customers. Let’s say 6m customers * $200/year, giving them 1.2 billion in annual revenue. Let’s generously give them a 25% net margin…that’s 300m profit. Even if they have a PE of 30 (which will likely drop as they stagnate), that puts market cap at $9 billion…not much larger than present.

Best case? I’d be impressed if Wix EVER gets to the $2 billion mark in annual revenue. $250 ARPU * 8m customers doesn’t seem very likely, but let’s give it to them. Let’s be REALLY generous and give them a 35% net margin. That’s 700m profit. With a PE of 35 (again not likely if they’re not growing) they’d be a $24 billion company.

That’s a wide range from worst case to best…but in no scenario could I imagine Wix becoming a $100 billion…or even $50 billion company.

Conclusion

The point is that even if I’m wrong, this is helpful. It sets expectations. These expectations can be adjusted…there’s nothing keeping us from updating these assumptions if things change. But it gives us a realistic picture of what to expect. And if I’m making obvious errors, we can discuss.

The story of Wix in particular is a good reminder to me that this is what happens when you have millions of tiny customers. They’re not particularly loyal. They’re very price sensitive. And none of them are increasing their spend dramatically. That’s why enterprise customers can be so powerful. If Smartsheet sells a few thousand dollars worth of subscriptions to a group at Wells Fargo, maybe 12 of their other groups adopt Smartsheet next year, and suddenly Wells is spending 12x what it was just a year ago with Smartsheet. This is the “expansion” we see in NER, and Wix will never really have it. Maybe a few users will create a second website, but most don’t need it.

On the other hand, Smartsheet only has something like 80,000 customers. Alteryx has something like 5,000. And not only are they therefore a lot less saturated than Wix, but obviously their products are offering a lot more value, and their customers also have a lot more ability to spend.

Part of the reason I estimated more for Alteryx in the next few years than Smartsheet is that customer count differential. But I also realize Smartsheet probably just has more potential customers than Alteryx anyway, because Alteryx is a more specialized and complex product. But those are topics for another post.

Bear

73 Likes

What are doing is very important; measuring the companies potential. This is critical in setting up a valuation model.

One risk with this however is not fully appreciating the companies opportunity for expanding their product or service offerings. The classic example is Amazon - being valued as a book seller initially. As a counter argument for Wix - what additional products could they offer their customer base to drive up ARPU?

tecmo

2 Likes

One risk with this however is not fully appreciating the companies opportunity for expanding their product or service offerings. The classic example is Amazon - being valued as a book seller initially. As a counter argument for Wix - what additional products could they offer their customer base to drive up ARPU?

That is next to impossible to do. How could we have known Amazon, in 1998, would be getting most of it’s income from a technology that didn’t even exist yet? Amazon was able to do what they did because of shrewd management. So you’d have to make an assessment of Wix’s management’s abilities to enter adjacent markets and compete in them successfully. To me that’s sort of getting abstract and not easy to predict. Years ago we saw Amazon compete-unsuccessfully-against eBay. Not everything they do turns to gold either.

3 Likes

I apologize in advance for this message board post that may be both off topic and does not add any value to the conversation related to the evaluation of growth companies; but are you kidding me? Discussions like this one and presentations like what Bear just laid our are FREE? A big thank you from a board member that is going back to reading more and posting less…THANK YOU!

Harley

7 Likes

Wix makes around $171/year from each of their 4.3 million paying customers. That’s $735 million/year. But where are these numbers headed?

Mostly small businesses, of which there are millions. But Wix already has millions of customers, plus 150m+ users who don’t pay. They’ll convert a few million of them over the next few years, but it isn’t hard at all to see this petering out in the near future.

I sold WIX in February, but this summarizes my basic issue at the time. Their Average Revenue per User was very small and barely growing at a double-digit rate (as opposed to say SMAR). Likewise, their growth in Premium Subscriptions had slowed for 7 straight quarters. They had recently released an all-in-one business tool called Ascend, but I wasn’t sure running a business was the major reason most customers were using their platform. In the end, I felt there were other companies with larger markets and a more understandable path to monetizing them.

2 Likes

I don’t have an argument with Bear’s basic story that Wix has a limit as to how big it can grow, unless it somehow reinvents itself. But, I do think the case is somewhat overstated:

The story of Wix in particular is a good reminder to me that this is what happens when you have millions of tiny customers. They’re not particularly loyal.

Actually, I think Wix has a pretty good lock-in story. First, it’s a hosted SaaS model, with Wix doing the hosting on their Wix specific CMS. So, you can’t take migrate your content to another provider - you have to reinvent it all. This matters for business customers - but I don’t know enough about Wix’s customer base profile to say how big a deal that is. With so many customers, they don’t need big price increases to move the needle.

That said, I suspect many Wix customers are price sensitive - which is a big reason they went to Wix in the first place. As businesses “get real” about their web sites, they’ll want to add things like Google Analytics, do SEO, etc. Those will require more spend with Wix. Of course, maybe the argument is that the typical Wix customer isn’t getting real.

Anyway, for another take, a positive MF article by Nicholas Rossolillo came out less than a month ago: https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/07/31/up-over-65-in-2019…

Besides growth (and it already being profitable), Rossolillo points to new services that show not only more paying customers (17% more since last quarter), but also more money per customer. He also points out the current high valuation and so cautions into buying shares outright.

And, of course, many have been bearish about Wix for a long time. Here’s one serious bear article, dating back to April 2017: https://www.sprucepointcap.com/reports/wix_short_report_4-19… . I’m guessing their concerns back then didn’t pan out.

That all said, Wix’s revenue growth is under 30% YOY. That’s not the rate other stocks discussed here have, and Bear’s points about a ceiling are well stated.

4 Likes

WIX leadership is very ambitious, and i think they are talented enough and determined enough to achieve much more growth.

Right now the DIY TAM is substantial enough. But as other top CEOs have demonstrated over the decades, optionalities/adjacent markets abound for big thinking leadership. There is no market cap max for the great ones. They move to products and markets to where the TAM is going. Not saying WIX leadership is a Bezos or a Jobs, but you get the idea.

WIX may be trying to tell us that in various ways including this comment from the last Q report transcript wherein they tell us they aspire to be a top 100 global brand and said so at Analyst Day also:

“So I think, generally when you think about our marketing and our strategy, I would say it does not changed. If you remember our last Analyst Day about a year ago, Omer, our CMO spoke about his kind of a goal to become one of the top 100 brands in the globe and we definitely think that we are – we have a shot at the title, so to speak. So I think that he does expect the – you haven’t been we are not changing the philosophy. We are exploring more avenues all the time, testing and experimenting with other sources of traffic, some of which are can be more relevant for a more professional crowd, and that’s definitely something that’s got to be interesting to understand.”

I’m a believer in these guys and continue to add here.

4 Likes