Meme stocks 2023 and now?

TMF has a story explaining what makes a stock a meme stock.

What exactly are meme stocks?
Simply put, meme stocks skyrocket in price in a short period (often hours or days) because of a sudden surge in interest online or on social media and subsequent buying among small individual investors. These short-term surges can often reverse course just as quickly, though, making meme stocks far more volatile than average stock market moves.

The word “meme,” from the ancient Greek word “mimema” – meaning imitation – is used to describe information that is imitated and often spread via pop culture references on social media. Thus, a meme stock is a shared investing idea imitated by other investors.

There is more in the story than that but that is the operational definition. It goes on to use some stocks that were or are meme stocks.

Do you think there are other meme stocks out there?

1 Like

heh, remember when Qualcomm went from a non-split adjusted under $100 to something like $800 in one year?

Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 17-16-31 Check out Qualcomm's stock price (QCOM) in real time

2 Likes

Undoubtedly. And I have approximately 0.0000 interest in finding them.

It actually did that in one day.

1 Like

From when I bought DELL in 1992 to the market top in 2000, a $10,000 investment grew to $2.4 million. Does that make it a meme stock? A lot of the earnings were due to accounting fraud and a secret deal with Intel that funneled billions of dollars to DELL for “marketing expenses” on the condition of using Intel processors exclusively.

intercst

2 Likes

It actually had a percentage increase like that in the last four months of 1999.

DB2

QCOM was one of my better moves. Bought, iirc, in late January or early February of 99, as soon as I could get another $2K into the IRA. I think it was still under $100…sort of made up for some of my clunkers over the years.

Steve

BTC and Eth might be accused of being meme.

How about pretty much every NFT?

Mike

2 Likes