MNDY - Gartner CWM stack

I’ve had a bit of a hobbiest play with Monday and Asana personally over the last couple of months, building a tracker for my podcast and investment research, and also using Monday to manage some event planning with automated mailers and responses. Highly anecdotal, but I much preferred Monday, albeit I note for my fairly simplistic use-cases it may be the friendlier no-code solution.

I was fairly surprised then to read some of the peer to peer reviews at Gartner’s Collaborative Work Management stack, with Monday overall scoring 3.9 (out of 5) vs Asana’s 4.7.

In defence of Monday, I note that there are only nine reviews, and that more legacy tools like Trello score higher also, perhaps pointing to the slightly dated nature of this comparison.

https://www.gartner.com/reviews/market/collaborative-work-ma…

As I say, not a huge amount of info there, but I did note the following critical commentary on Monday specifically, wonder if board members who’ve also used these tools have an opinion.

“It does nothing that other workflow management tools do not, and misses some very basic functionality.”

“No sub-tickets, no easy linking between tickets, comment threads inside tickets are impossible to follow, if you open a ticket to view the details you cannot see it in the list anymore, no response from support when requesting minor UI fixes.”

Luke.

[Disclosure - I have a Monday position]

5 Likes

I was fairly surprised then to read some of the peer to peer reviews at Gartner’s Collaborative Work Management stack, with Monday overall scoring 3.9 (out of 5) vs Asana’s 4.7…In defence of Monday, I note that there are only nine reviews

Hi Luke,

I wouldn’t base anything on nine reviews!!! Not anything at all! That kind of thinking will get you in all kinds of trouble. And then you quoted from a dissatisfied quote which may have been written by someone in Sales and Marketing for a competitor. With a total of nine reviews, who knows?

Stick with the numbers. Their number of enterprise customers (over $50k) last quarter went from 185 the year before to 613 this quarter! Up 231%!!! More than tripling!!! And they more than tripled the quarter before, and the quarter before that. And the quarter before THAT, they quadrupled!

That shouts out loud that their customers are hugely happy!!! And spreading the word!!!

Oh, and Revenue was up 95% last quarter, and 94% the quarter before. And they hit positive Free Cash Flow and Operating Cash Flow last quarter.

And we have people seriously worrying because they are buying a Super Bowl Ad, and saying they must be desperate. What a joke!!! Look at the numbers for God’s sake!!! Maybe they’re just exuberant!:grinning::grinning::grinning:

Saul

94 Likes

I did some consulting work for a small Chicago-based agency that focuses on design work, product research and SaaS implementations. They cater to the marketing side of most businesses.

I was with them when they were first bringing in Monday.com as a partner for their SaaS implementation competency. They trained up on their platform, and are now providing consulting services for customization.

I just had a touchpoint with them last week. They said they were doing great, and unprompted they said their Monday.com implementation business is booming. In fact, they are hiring for more talent to help with their implementations.

That’s one datapoint, but it tells me there’s some good business there when consulting services companies are also doing well.

Best,
–Kevin

29 Likes

Luke,
Maybe I can add a little. I did run the Monday tutorial a couple months ago because I was trying to understand the competitive landscape. Professionally previously I was a Jira and Confluence power user/administrator for 7 years. And I used MS Project for many years.

Keep in mind that there are different tools for Task management versus Project management. You mentioned that you could not sub task with Monday.

Task/Ticket Management: you need detailed view on the ticket priority, reassignment, sub tasking, dependencies, collaboration diary, and closure. You do not want tickets to become orphans. In fact one of my favorite Jira queries was an orphan report. Ticket management requires a customizable state machine to control the flow of the task consistent with the work processes of the organization. (e.g. Agile, waterfall, hybrid, or whatever) And the view of the task status with a project dashboard reflects ticket status from different views such as priority and user assignments. There are many ticket management tools out there. Jira is one of the most popular and I am a big fan. Ticket management is frequently engineering, IT, and Customer Support. But this is evolving.

Project Management: You need to focus on the big picture, not tasks. This is where Monday comes into play. But it has been designed for use across many enterprise disciplines besides an engineering focus. In comparison to say MS Project, I would say Monday has a more humanly graphical interface. Its user interface seems very intuitive and provides a good experience for non technical types. Certainly more colorful. Monday advertises many integrations with other tools such as Jira, kind of a manager of tools. So you can couple dependencies and status reporting. It seems this is where Monday has a slight edge or the competition. Maybe someone here has some insight into Asana and can comment on their integrations. I did test drive Atlassian Trello 5 years ago when it was just a baby. I did not have a useful experience and quickly quit using it. I am sure Trello has come a long way since so I’ll withhold judgement. And I will say 5 years ago I was working in an office with my team of 50 employees in only two different sites. So collaborative meetings many times were just a visit to someone’s desk, a phone call, or ad hoc bullpen discussion. Given the crash move to remote work the last 2 years, I think this is why these project collaboration tools are taking off. And perhaps are essential.

Hope this helps. I am very long on MNDY and both of my nostrils are beneath the surface of the water. I do not see sustainable rocket science with any of these project management tools. But right now all boats are floating and the growth is accelerating. So this is why I am in.

-zane

41 Likes

Anyway, I went to compare the ratings for Monday, Asana, Trello and Jira on the following sites (which aggregated thousands of reviews so you have a much larger sample size than 9): Gartner, G2, TrustRadius, Capterra, Featured Customer, Software Advice and GetApp.

MNDY came up #1 in 5 of the above sites and Joint #1 in two sites (Featured Customer and Software Advice).

Both customer ratings and their customer growth numbers tell me customers are happy with their product.

It may not be a long term buy and hold for years type of position but right now it has tremendous momentum.

10 Likes

On Gartner, I am seeing that both Monday and Asana got 4.4.

https://www.gartner.com/reviews/market/project-portfolio-man…

1 Like

Hi,
Here’s a link I posted a while a go on the board regarding a real use case of Monday.com in my company, in case it got overlooked.

https://discussion.fool.com/hey-monkey-my-company-started-to-use…

Sorry I’m re-sending it but I’m perceiving lately a lot of questions and doubts regarding MONDAY, maybe because it’s a new platform and there isn’t a lot of real use cases and reviews of it on the board.

I want to add to my post on the link the following
1- No code is king- Very ease of use, simple and intuitive, employees love it, can start building dashboards and automated workflows in a short time frame, no need tech background.
2- Super Flexible, it serves different divisions within the company, HR, MARKETING, LOGISTICS, ACCOUNTING, SALES, PRODUCT, IT, ETC
3- Recently got it integrated to our corp SLACK account in seconds, got employees/teams connected everywhere, anytime.

Any questions/doubts I’ll be happy to answer
Isaac

25 Likes
That's a helpful list of review sites. I spent an hour collating scores across all of them for the major players in this space, [Monday.com](http://Monday.com) do appear to just edge out the lead here. Although all the sites seem to use different review methodologies, and really only Gartner do a proper job of assessing the applications individually based on their actual capabilities in each stack, I think this is probably a directionally useful small piece of analysis.

Gartner	TrustR	G2	Cpterra	FeatCus	SwAdv	GetApp	Average
Monday	        4.4	4.35	4.7	4.6	4.6	4.5	4.6	4.54
Asana	        4.6	4.25	4.3	4.4	4.4	4.5	4.4	4.41
Trello	        4.3	4.2	4.4	4.5	4.5	4.5	4.5	4.41
Smartsheet	4.4	4.2	4.4	4.5	4.5	4.5	4.5	4.43
Confluence	4.3	4.1	4.1	4.4	4.4	4.5	4.4	4.31

Two minor points to note:

1. The Gartner score is an average across the main categories where these tools are represented (being Adaptive Project Mgmt, Collaborative Work Mgmt, and Project Mgmt)
2. The Trust Radius scores are halved to get to a rating out of 5 rather than out of 10

Luke.
Reposted with line breaks, no idea how to format table data individually!
Also - I'm the OP on this thread, just changed my username.

---

That's a helpful list of review sites. I spent an hour collating scores across all of them for the
major players in this space, [Monday.com](http://Monday.com) do appear to just edge out the lead here. Although all the 
sites seem to use different review methodologies, and really only Gartner do a proper job of 
assessing the applications individually based on their actual capabilities in each stack, I think 
this is probably a directionally useful small piece of analysis.

Gartner	TrustR	G2	Cpterra	FeatCus	SwAdv	GetApp	Average
Monday	        4.4	4.35	4.7	4.6	4.6	4.5	4.6	4.54
Asana	        4.6	4.25	4.3	4.4	4.4	4.5	4.4	4.41
Trello	        4.3	4.2	4.4	4.5	4.5	4.5	4.5	4.41
Smartsheet	4.4	4.2	4.4	4.5	4.5	4.5	4.5	4.43
Confluence	4.3	4.1	4.1	4.4	4.4	4.5	4.4	4.31

Two minor points to note:

1. The Gartner score is an average across the main categories where these tools are represented
(being Adaptive Project Mgmt, Collaborative Work Mgmt, and Project Mgmt)
2. The Trust Radius scores are halved to get to a rating out of 5 rather than out of 10

Luke.
7 Likes