Monday Monday

I’ve been kinda “semi-semi-retired” for about a year, taking several shifts a month at the hotel I worked at. I quit completely after Christmas so I’m fully retired now.

This is going to take some getting used to. It’s Sunday night and deep inside my psyche is that feeling that the weekend is over and I have to work tomorrow. It’s like it’s coded in my friggin’ DNA. I have to keep reminding myself that I’m retired and that tomorrow, Monday for most folks, is just another Saturday for moi.

I say hot DAMN I love retirement!

I say hot DAMN I love retirement!

And I say, "Give it a couple of weeks, months, or so… and then…

You’ll start looking for activity to fill in the days… volunteering is a common outlet… tutoring grandkids a couple of years worked here… also other’s kiddos, if your school district(s) has such a program… senior centers are likely possibilities, and you’d be working with folks your age…

There are just so many hours one can spend counting flowers on the wall and rearranging your sock drawer!

And I say, "Give it a couple of weeks, months, or so… and then…

You’ll start looking for activity to fill in the days…

Yeah, see, I’ve never understood this perspective. There aren’t enough hours in the day for all the stuff I do and all the stuff I want to do. And I mean this quite literally. I have a daily “health regimen” of meditation, cardio, stretching, walking, all of which takes up a few hours of my day right there. I’m always reading two or three books at a time, with a pretty much endless list of books I’m looking forward to getting to in the future. I have a very nice home theater, currently watching the NFL playoffs on my 65" HDTeeVee, with the Winter Olympics coming up next month, then baseball season. We’re currently in a period of extraordinary quality of tv series, tv’s “new golden age” as they call it, with streaming services like Netflix and Amazon and others producing genuinely great stuff, so much to watch. I’ve been a movie buff my entire life, always lots of flicks to watch and re-watch. Currently re-watching the incredible nature series “Planet Earth”, so beautiful in high definition. Never liked to cook, but now I’ve been trying out some recipes with the Instant Pot I bought a couple years ago, having some success with that and actually enjoying it. Been getting together more with friends, also recently retired, so that’s been fun. And, and, and…

No, my days are more than full. As I said in a previous thread, I wish I didn’t have to sleep, there’s just too darn much I want to do!

15 Likes

This is going to take some getting used to. It’s Sunday night and deep inside my psyche is that feeling that the weekend is over and I have to work tomorrow. It’s like it’s coded in my friggin’ DNA. I have to keep reminding myself that I’m retired and that tomorrow, Monday for most folks, is just another Saturday for moi.

Don’t worry. Pretty soon you will have to look at the phone to see what day of the week it is.

With the streaming of series, there is little need to know what day it is or risk missing your show. The only reason we need to know the day of the week is to make sure we go to the right pickleball game scheduled for that day. We take the trash to the dump ourselves, so don’t even need to know it’s trash pick up day.

I love calling my schedule my own.

IP

1 Like

There are just so many hours one can spend counting flowers on the wall and rearranging your sock drawer!

“Counting flowers on the wall,
That don’t bother me at all.

Playing solitaire till dawn
With a deck of 51.

Smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo

Now don’t tell me
I’ve nothing to do.”

The Statler Brothers

7 Likes

Don’t worry. Pretty soon you will have to look at the phone to see what day of the week it is.

Yeaaaah, I’m starting to get that now. Fer shure.

Tomorrow is Saturday, right?

+++
+++

Nope!

It’s Cinco de Mayo + six.

sunray
a man with a calendar & a clock.

I have watches but NEVER wear them, & a cell phone that I usually leave @ the house.

“I have watches but NEVER wear them, & a cell phone that I usually leave @ the house.”

Time waits for no man.

Howie52
But retirement makes time less of a constant demanding companion.

1 Like

Heh. Every day is Saturday. It’s been that way for a few years now.

IP

3 Likes

Heh. Every day is Saturday. It’s been that way for a few years now.

A couple years ago, before I’d retired, I once asked a friend how his weekend was. He replied “I’m retired, man. My week is six Saturdays and a Sunday.”

Yeah, that’ll do.

1 Like

A couple years ago, before I’d retired, I once asked a friend how his weekend was. He replied “I’m retired, man. My week is six Saturdays and a Sunday.”

Better yet, you actually come to prefer the weekdays. Lines tend to be shorter and crowds thinner.

IP,
who hates grocery shopping on the crowded weekends

5 Likes

I once asked a friend how his weekend was. He replied “I’m retired, man. My week is six Saturdays and a Sunday.”

My feelings exactly*!*

Desert (retired, up every day at the crack of noon) Dave

1 Like

"I once asked a friend how his weekend was. He replied “I’m retired, man. My week is six Saturdays and a Sunday.”

My parents used to joke that the only way they knew it was Sunday was the comic strips came in color.

t.