Monetizing Twitter

One suggestion is to run “twitter as a service”, and sell access to the platform to content creators and community organizers who want a “twitter in their image”.

https://www.vox.com/recode/23041717/twitter-musk-business-pl…

Twitter should just focus on running Twitter — the service that displays your tweets around the world in real time — and then license access to that to anyone who wants to build a business around it, however they’d like. Think of it as a white-label Twitter that Twitter sells to people who want to make their own Twitter: Maybe you want to run a Twitter service that only focuses on long-haired Persian cats and their owners, and your friend wants to run one dedicated to ivermectin fans: You buy the data from Twitter and present it any way you like. Ads? Pay to read? Whatever you decide: Twitter’s just selling you the gas.

intercst

Taking Twitter private means share owners will be paid in cash when the deal closes.

Many will get stuck paying capital gains. Any way to avoid that?

Nope. That’s why they have to pay a premium for a “cash transaction”.

That’s also why a lot of acquisitions are structured as a stock swap where your “cost basis” rolls over into the new entity and you don’t incur an immediate tax liability.

intercst

Something tells me the only person who will get the free speech Musk is promising is himself. We will get free listening.

1 Like

Something tells me the only person who will get the free speech Musk is promising is himself. We will get free listening.

A publicity hound using it for publicity? I’m shocked at your cynicism! /sarcasm

Try this experiment. Start publishing tweets that say thinks like “Musk’s mother wears army shoes” and see if, suddenly, there is censorship.

Steve

With focus and a vision of some sort of endgame it can happen.

Why?

Not getting political ,I’m not arguing for or against the following: BUT, for crying out loud, the President of the United States-----had to beg this medium for access!!! Where the heck else does that happen. World leaders rush to write policy there.

Personally I loathe it all. If I were world dictator - social media nixed. I feel it’s robbing humans of humanity - even with the benefits and gifts that are offered.

But - yeah, I think that something with that much usage by people that count - -something has to work. And though I have certain personal misgivings about Mr Musk - I can’t argue that he’s one of those generational men who has “it”.

Will be interesting to see…though I don’t; even have a handle nor do I know how to get one.

I have a fake Facebook page - so I can chat with fellow 80’s throwbacks, and MASH fanatics.

A publicity hound using it for publicity? I’m shocked at your cynicism! /sarcasm

I consider myself a mild mannered realist.

Many will get stuck paying capital gains. Any way to avoid that?

I bought some yesterday in an IRA.

DB2