More oil, please

ah, VertReps and UnReps. Them was the good ol’ days. In UnRep, shoving the bow of your destroyer thru the curling bow wave of your supply ship takes faith and… something else.

My father was a Navy pilot, but even aviators have to put in some command time on a ship. He had a tanker in the Med for a year and some interesting stories.

DB2

“I just sorted the list in the previous link, copied to a spreadsheet, and renumbered…”

As if THAT provided any meaningful statistic.

The 21 countries ahead of your list account for 5-6% of global usage (and even that is skewed by Saudi at 3.4% and Singapore at 1.4%).

Why post junk?
Even you should know better than that.

So, you’re one of those IT guys who don’t think about whether the meaning of their results?

2 Likes

Production hit an all-time high at 400 million barrels per month in December 2019. Then, it dropped off to 301 million barrels in May of 2020.

The graph is in thousands, not millions.

Apologies if this has already been posted.

1 Like

ah, VertReps and UnReps. Them was the good ol’ days. In UnRep, shoving the bow of your destroyer thru the curling bow wave of your supply ship takes faith and… something else.

Best UnRep ever? Refueling from a carrier. Handy as a gas station,

Most hilarious to me story was when we (standing NATO fleet) crossed the pond from “Den Haag” to an exercise well east of Porto Rico. Our US Navy destroyer representative was USS Sellers. We had just launched off on a daylight ‘dipping’ (Sub hunting with active sonar) mission when Sellers called us up and asked if we could pick up one of their sailors with suspected appendicitis symptoms as they only had a tiffy while we had a real doctor. Sellers didn’t have a flight deck so we hoisted the guy up in a basket stretcher and dropped him off on Protecteur then headed back to our assigned sector for ~ 3.5 hours of boring pinging (we knew there was no sub in the exercise). When we landed back on board our first question was to ask how the patient was … everyone broke out laughing. He had bought one of those huge cheese wheels in Den Haag and ate the whole thing during the transit across!!

Oh … another close one was when we were getting our stretcher hoist qual with Oscar (dummy) in the stretcher. The Det commander looked out and saw one of the young subbies waving from the basket while being lowered to the steel deck. When my junior hand walked in the boss yelled at him that he was supposed to use a dummy, he pointed back at the subby and said “I did”!

Tim

1 Like

What does the Ukraine have to do with the need for oil? In California they, the government, doesn’t want them to drill. What were they, the government, doing six months ago when they, the government, wanted the oil companies to stop or reduce production?

================================================================

chashage,

Sorry that you do not understand why California hates/loves oil. It is not that complicated.

It is called air pollution (SMOG & pollutants) and Climate Change (fires & lack of rain).

What is the cause of this air pollution (SMOG & pollutants) and Climate Change (fires & lack of rain)?

Answer is that in California the major source of air pollution and Climate Change is the production, refining, spilling, leaking and burning of oil.

The people of California elected the government of California. The people of California want the Government to eliminate air pollution and mitigate/eliminate effects of Climate Change.

California government will ban ICE vehicle sales in a few years, stop oil drilling, stop new refineries, and more.

Jaak

2 Likes

It’s tar sands oil,

Thanks for getting it wrong again to show your bias? Tar hardens, oil sands doesn’t.

“Do we use “oil sands”, capitulating to the industry’s late but valiant rebranding effort, or keep to “tar sands”, which is how we’ve generally referred to it in the past?.. how about we split the difference and call them what they really are: The Bitumen Sands?”
https://commonsensecanadian.ca/oil-sands-tar-sands-actually-…

Seems to me you were posting a very similar story as well as the end of coal and lignite in Germany in a couple of years on the O&G board circa 2007?
Too bad the O&G board is no longer available?

latest post on the MF oil and gas board:
Shell to end crude refining at German site in low carbon shift
https://discussion.fool.com/shell-german-refinery-to-hydrogen-bi…

2 Likes

Biden advisers weigh Saudi Arabia trip for more oil
https://www.axios.com/biden-saudi-trip-oil-b7a91070-8045-415…
The possibility also shows how Russia’s invasion is scrambling world’s alliances, forcing the U.S. to reorder its priorities — and potentially recalibrating its emphasis on human rights.

Biden officials are in Venezuela this weekend to meet with the government of President Nicolás Maduro. Some Republicans and Democrats in Washington suggest Venezuela’s oil could replace Russia’s, according to the New York Times.

DB2

1 Like

I bet most people here can figure out what the O and G stand for.

Depending on when and where you were raised - Original Gangster.

JLC

2 Likes

I bet most people here can figure out what the O and G stand for.

Depending on when and where you were raised - Original Gangster.

Exactly*!*

This exchange shows that people don’t know what you mean, they only know what you say*!*

That fact is particularly important on message boards where misunderstandings can’t be instantly cleared up.

This exchange shows that people don’t know what you mean, they only know what you say!

It’s the speaker’s obligation to make himself understood, not the listeners.

O G = Oil&Gas

The Captain
hates alphabet soup

1 Like

Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

The Captain
hates alphabet soup

We agree on something, the US (in particular the US military) has a nasty habit of speaking in multi-use (insider only?) acronyms that drove us crazy at times.

Gas in Halifax is C$1.866 a liter today … I figure I might as well join in though I fill up with ~ 20-25 liters every six weeks or so in my little Micra that is used for shopping, social occasions and appointments. The rest of the time it is in our communal underground parking.

Trudeau visited the Queen yesterday and is now off to visit our troops in Latvia.

Russian families are calling a Ukrainian hotline to search for lost soldiers … nice touch and clever way to put more Russians on the street protesting against the war?

Tim

It’s tar sands oil,

Thanks for getting it wrong again to show your bias?

My bias is “math”. Tar sands pipelines have three times the leak rate as traditional oil moving in pipelines. (3.6x per mile, actually, if you’re counting.) The hypothesis is that the oil is more corrosive and heavier and requires more pressure to move and/or be mixed with lighter distillates to bring it to tolerance. That information comes from multiple environmental groups who have done the research. One of the problems, of course, is that environmental groups have an axe to grind and so does the industry. The math, however, is the math.

It is also true, and both sides agree, that it is more difficult to extract “tar sands”. Unlike drilling a hole and finding pockets underground, tar sands requires the equivalent of clear cutting or strip mining to scoop up large swaths of sands and then to refine it, which is more carbon intensive at both ends.

Since everyone agrees that the products will be exported, not domestically consumed, it is difficult for me to understand why the US would want to enable a more carbon intensive enterprise which profits companies in another country, and without meaningful benefit to its own citizens. Yes, there would be a temporary boost in construction jobs, but those go away and then we deal with the aftermath for the next 30 years, none of which is positive and all of which is potentially negative.

If Canada wants to build a pipeline and refineries within its own borders, then transship the products to Asia or wherever I won’t and can’t stop them. Why is it so important that you push it down into the US? Keep it up there. I’m sure, if the benefits are so great that your citizens will enjoy the fruits for many years to come.

I notice your claim lacks links. Too lazy?

This is all information commonly available. I post links when the information requires substantiation. None of this does.

the process to turn it into light oil was invented in California

OK. So was hydraulic gold mining, blasting away entire mountainsides with water to get the gold, but after it was shown to be environmentally destructive it was banned. The benefits flowed to a tiny few, while the destruction was left for everyone. Maybe there’s a lesson there?

21 Likes

Since everyone agrees that the products will be exported, not domestically consumed, it is difficult for me to understand why the US would want to enable a more carbon intensive enterprise which profits companies in another country, and without meaningful benefit to its own citizens.

• IIRC, the Gulf Coast refineries are well equipped to handle the heavy oil, making available for use or export.

• Oil sands increase North American oil supply security, the importance of which should be obvious.

DB2

4 Likes

Why is it so important that you push it down into the US?

Because they are the ones that buy it and benefit most by refining it and exporting finished product such as gasoline, jet fuel and diesel to others willing to pay higher prices? Refineries are optimized for certain inputs and when the Venezuelan and Mexican heavy stuff became scarce it was replace with oil sands from Alberta. Is that “push” or just business?

I’m not here to support oil sands one way or the other. My position in Suncor is because it pays a generous dividend and has gone up ~ C$6 bucks since I bought it a month ago. How are your positions based on moral concerns doing? Do you really think selling my shares would somehow change the economy and make a strong statement that everyone should bicycle to work in the snow?

Seriously we didn’t hold a gun to anyone’s head that you imply. Most of us don’t even have guns.

Even now our Feds are setting time and quantity limits on production from the oil sands … which is not going down well in Alberta. Albertans don’t vote Liberal anyway.

Having said that the current global situation may involve compromises as Russian Oil and Nat gas is a very big part of the European’s economy.

Now if it is ok with you I will get back to why most of us are here. Got a feeling Joe will be calling to ask us to ‘push’ more oil his way?

Oh, we also export a lot of clean Hydro Power but of course must build dams or run of river projects … got a beef with those as well?

Canada hydro power exports: In 2020, exports were 67.2 TW. h, imports were 9.8 TW. h. and net exports were 57.3 TW. May 18, 2021

Scheech like we can Push our unwanted products into the US!

Anymouse

6 Likes

How are your positions based on moral concerns doing?

I own shares in both Exxon and Facebook, arguably two of the most destructive companies in the past 50 years. Also companies with substantial merit in other ways, obviously. I am regularly pilloried on this board for supporting (or at least acknowledging) the role of petrochemicals in our modern society.

Because they are the ones that buy it and benefit most by refining it and exporting finished product such as gasoline, jet fuel and diesel to others willing to pay higher prices?

Yes. A paltry few profit, while entire states gain nothing and stand to be despoiled don’t like the arrangement. Is that so hard to understand?

I’m not here to support oil sands one way or the other. My position in Suncor is because it pays a generous dividend and has gone up ~ C$6 bucks since I bought it a month ago.

There are a few companies I wouldn’t invest in - if I knew the management to be corrupt, or if I thought they were only harmful without redeeming value (tobacco might fit this definition). Otherwise I agree with you, my paltry holdings don’t matter a whit in the scheme of things = but I’m not talking about that, I’m pointing out that the pipeline you so fervently support isn’t a good deal for many, and I support their right not to be forced to have it.

Oh, we also export a lot of clean Hydro Power but of course must build dams or run of river projects … got a beef with those as well?

Not at all. Perhaps you should get to know your opponents views before you go stuffing words in their mouths? Just a suggestion.

Me too. Even across our own borders for some of them.

2 Likes

Anymouse says

Simple, supply and demand my friend.

'38Packard

I’m pointing out that the pipeline you so fervently support isn’t a good deal for many, and I support their right not to be forced to have it.

Me to. What pizzed me off is when previous POTUS staged the famous signing in the WH while the poor uncomfortable CEO of my largest and most profitable company holding (TcEnergy Corp) who knew very well he was being used for political purpose and there was no way that pipeline was going to get built but he would have to spend a lot of company funds pretending. Of course the Premier of Alberta stuck his nose in with taxpayers money making the charade even worse.

Clearly you missed my earlier post on the subject today.

Anymouse

1 Like

Clearly you missed my earlier post on the subject today.

Anymouse

https://discussion.fool.com/oh-no-i-have-to-sell-tc-energy-my-la…

Saudi, Emirati Leaders Decline Calls With Biden During Ukraine Crisis
www.wsj.com/articles/saudi-emirati-leaders-decline-calls-wit…
“There was some expectation of a phone call, but it didn’t happen,” said a U.S. official of the planned discussion between the Saudi Prince Mohammed and Mr. Biden. “It was part of turning on the spigot [of Saudi oil].”…

The Saudis have signaled that their relationship with Washington has deteriorated under the Biden administration, and they want more support for their intervention in Yemen’s civil war, help with their own civilian nuclear program as Iran’s moves ahead, and legal immunity for Prince Mohammed in the U.S., Saudi officials said…

The rift between Mr. Biden and Saudi Arabia’s crown prince stretches back to the 2020 presidential election, when the Democratic candidate vowed to treat the kingdom as a “pariah” state after a Saudi hit team killed Mr. Khashoggi in 2018 in Istanbul. There is “very little social redeeming value in the present government in Saudi Arabia,” Mr. Biden said during a presidential debate in 2019.

DB2

2 Likes

It is not like MBS’s predecessors were any better. It was just a different time. MBS at least is modernizing SA.

Biden made his point already.

That aside it wont be that much more oil out of SA. But the world will need it.