My current positions

Here are some of my current positions, and some thoughts about them. (Please remember that I always discuss adjusted earnings).

BOFI is my biggest position. It’s been as high as $106, and recently as low as $65. It’s currently at $70.50. I sold a little at $102, and a little more at $92, and have been steadily adding to my position since, on the way down (although none actually this week, I was busy with other things). BOFI’s current trailing PE ratio is 18. Quarterly EPS has been up for 10 quarters sequentially, and at least 10 quarters year over year. They have not yet reported this quarter. There has been no bad news, except that their assumption of H&R Block’s banking business has been delayed.

CELG is my 2nd biggest position. It’s at a new high of $103 after announcing earnings. Everything is continuing to do very well. Six months ago you could have bought them between $68 and $70. (I added to my position there, myself). I just sold a small amount at $101 because my position was so big, it’s up 50% in six months, and I had other things I wanted to buy. I am certainly planning to keep it as one of my largest positions. Its current trailing PE ratio is 30.

UBNT is my 3rd biggest position. In the last 14 months, they started at $21, went as high as $56, and twice fell back to $31.50. They are currently at $34.50. They haven’t yet reported earnings, but if they hit the mid-point of their very conservative range they will have a trailing PE of 16.7, which seems rather conservative for a company growing trailing earnings at close to 100% for the last four quarters.

SYNA is my 4th biggest. I took my position a year and a half ago at $40. They got as high as $92, but recently sold off to $62 after three quarters of disappointing results (basically flat to slightly down). Note however that their current trailing PE is just 15. They recently bought a fingerprint sensing business which they felt would be transformational, but which took some time to integrate (causing some of the disappointing results), and now have bought a company for cash which they feel increases their potential market by one and a half times. This acquisition closed on the first day of this quarter so I’m willing to give them a couple more quarters, as next quarter should have earnings up at least 50%, and their price is incredibly cheap.

SWKS is just behind SYNA, and is growing revenue and earnings at an accelerating rate, and is a possible play on the Internet of things. They got as low as $45.50 two weeks ago, but have bounced back 21% in two weeks to $55. If they don’t increase earnings sequentially at all when they report the Sept quarter, they will still have a trailing PE of only 18.6. They are growing earnings about 31% per year for the last four quarters.

SKX is close behind SWKS. You may have heard of Skechers. My wife doesn’t wear any other shoe. This last quarter earnings were only up about 113% (give or take), way down from 400% the quarter before and 150% or so the quarter before that, so you guessed it. They sold off! In fact the price has fallen from $64 to about $50 in the past six weeks of this crazy market. That brings them down to a trailing PE of about 18.6 too. You can discuss whether the PE should be 18.6 or 19.6 depending on what you put in adjusted earnings, but that certainly doesn’t change the investment thesis.

AIOCF. We drop down a bit to my 7th position. It’s very labile and the CEO is emphasizing capturing market share at the present, so you might expect a very high PE, but their PE is around 20, depending on the Canadian exchange rate. They grew revenue at 78%(!) from 2012 to 2013, and by 70% in the first two quarters of this year. They haven’t reported Sept yet. (Adjusted earnings were up well over 100% from 2012 to 2013.). The price has fallen more than 50% since the high in January, to give us now that reasonable PE.

WAB is 8th. They haven’t had a year over year quarterly drop in earnings for as far as I’ve looked back (Dec 2011). Just keep chugging along. Dropped as low as $72 two weeks ago, but are back at $79. (All time high is $86). Trailing PE is 24. Will be a little less after they report Sept quarter. Not bad for the only stock on any US exchange to be up every year of the century, even 2008.

I’m getting worn out. My smaller positions, in order, are
PFIE
POL
SZYM
AEYE
INBK
CGNX
Last three are pretty small, for me (about 1.5% to 2.5%)

Hope this long-winded post is of some interest.

Saul

For FAQ’s and Knowledgebase
please go to Post #3591

39 Likes

Thx Saul for your summary. And I wanted to share this link from the B of I forum for those who have Rule Breakers’ access: http://discussion.fool.com/1069/notes-from-our-meeting-with-bofi…

It is a summary of Matt and Aaron’s visit last week to B of I headquarters where they interviewed the CEO and attended the board meeting.

Fool on!
J.

2 Likes

Thanks, J, a great link!
Saul

Mind if I ask approximate percentage breakdowns? At the moment my largest holding is 5%

thanks,
E

SWKS is just behind SYNA, and is growing revenue and earnings at an accelerating rate, and is a possible play on the Internet of things. They got as low as $45.50 two weeks ago, but have bounced back 21% in two weeks to $55. If they don’t increase earnings sequentially at all when they report the Sept quarter, they will still have a trailing PE of only 18.6. They are growing earnings about 31% per year for the last four quarters.

Hi Saul,

Do you have some notes on Skyworks? The Apple iPhone6 and iPhone 6+ tear downs showed that Skyworks chips were in the latest Apple phones. Since the new Apple phones have been setting new sales records, I suspect many of these component makers are going to see very good earnings for the next few quarters. INVN should also do well as they finally managed to crack into the Apple phone.

BTW, is this recommended in some TMF service? One? Pro? Its not recommended by Stock Advisor, Rule Breakers, Hidden Gems, Income Investor, or Inside Value. And its not a MDP holding either.

Thanks,

Anirban

Hi Anirban, I can’t post the actual recommendation for SWKS because it’s a MF One recommendation from several months ago, but here are my notes from their recent raise of outlook.

Saul

Oct 2014 - Raised estimates
In response to the warning by a fellow chip maker that tanked the chip market, Skyworks just raised their 4th quarter estimates from $1.00 to $1.08. Analyst estimates were $1.01. And I’m sure, if they raised to $1.08, they expect to beat it.

Last year they made 67 cents. So $1.08 would be up 61%. Earnings will be in a range of $3.50 for the year, up 50% for the year, and with a price of $45 yesterday, that’s a PE of about 13. Now, that’s my kind of stock.

2 Likes

Mind if I ask approximate percentage breakdowns? At the moment my largest holding is 5%. thanks, E

Hi Ethan, I’m down to 14 positions at present, so my average position has to be about 7%, and some are larger and some are small. I try not to let any position get so big that the tail wags the dog, though.

Saul

Hi Saul - interesting post containing a clutch of 20 baggers!

Just a question about one of your investments and another mentioned around these parts - Avigilon (AIOCF) @ $650m market cap ~3x sales and 26 p/e and Ambarella (AMBA) @ $1.2bn market cap ~7x sales and 44 p/e. Both appear in the HD video market.

What I cannot tell is whether they are competitors or whether AMBA might be a chip/software component supplier to Avigilon? Also I would be interested if margins had been compared across the 2 companies - have you or someone on this board done this?

Clearly AMBA is much higher valued but I cannot tell whether that is due to significantly higher margin. AMBA does look as though they have a broader set of target markets.

Thanks.
Ant

Saul,

I do not see AMBA in here. Did you sell it ? If yes can you share why ?

Swapsan

I do not see AMBA in here. Did you sell it ? If yes can you share why?

Hi Swapsan, I discussed that in post 3858, here: http://discussion.fool.com/heres-how-its-supposed-to-work-314639…

Saul

Just a question about one of your investments and another mentioned around these parts - Avigilon (AIOCF) @ $650m market cap ~3x sales and 26 p/e and Ambarella (AMBA) @ $1.2bn market cap ~7x sales and 44 p/e. Both appear in the HD video market. What I cannot tell is whether they are competitors or whether AMBA might be a chip/software component supplier to Avigilon? Also I would be interested if margins had been compared across the 2 companies - have you or someone on this board done this? Clearly AMBA is much higher valued but I cannot tell whether that is due to significantly higher margin. AMBA does look as though they have a broader set of target markets.

Hi Ant, This has been discussed a lot on some of the Avigilon threads on this board. As far as we can tell they are not competitors as AMBA makes chips for security systems and AIOCF makes entire systems with cameras and software, etc. I think AMBA got so overvalued due to hype over GoPro and its recent IPO, as AMBA supplies chips to GoPro.

Saul

1 Like

Saul,
are you holding cash?
thanks
Gator

Saul, are you holding cash? thanks, Gator

Hi Gator, I almost never hold any cash beyond what I need to live on for a couple of months.

1 Like

Hi Anirban, I can’t post the actual recommendation for SWKS because it’s a MF One recommendation from several months ago, but here are my notes from their recent raise of outlook.

Pretty sure SWKS was an MF Pro recommendation…unusual for Pro but great pick.
Mykie