My homemade vitamin water

Yes, the pandemic prompted me to start making my own vitamin water and drinking some every day. It’s not a panacea by any means, but I think of it as just cheap insurance.

The ingredients:

• 8 cups of water
  • 1 teaspoon of magnesium ascorbate powder
  • the yellow/orange powdery contents from 2 Nutricost Vitamin B complex capsules

I mix the powders and the water in a pitcher and stir up the mixture to get those vitamins to dissolve.

I drink up to 1 cup of this vitamin water per day, but I don’t drink it all at once. I drink a quarter cup at a time a few times per day. I mix it with water, milk, oold-brewed tea, and/or water kefir.

The magnesium ascorbate provides Vitamin C and a bit of magnesium, a nutrient that most people need more of. It’s said that mineral ascorbates are better absorbed and are less likely to cause side effects. 1 cup of my vitamin water has around 500 mg of Vitamin C.

I use the Nutricost Vitamin B complex capsules, because they contain more B1, B2, B5, B7, and B12 (in the form of methylcobalamin) relative to the amount of B3 (niacin). B3 is the one easiest to overdose on, because the Tolerable Upper Intake is barely over double the US RDA. So you really need to watch it when you take Vitamin B complex supplements. (I also buy UNFORTIFIED nutritional yeast. I get my extra B vitamins from my vitamin water, and fortified nutritional yeast has too much niacin.) The other B vitamins I mentioned have no Tolerable Upper Intake, presumably because the body easily gets rid of the excess. Note that one cup of my vitamin water (a 1-day supply) has just a quarter dose of the Nutricost Vitamin B complex supplement, which keeps the supplemental niacin reasonably low (55% of the US RDA).

Vitamin B12 is one of the most common nutritional deficiencies, and vegans aren’t the only ones affected. It’s hard to get enough from food no matter how healthy and nutritious your diet is. Given what I’ve read, I prefer methylcobalamin over the cyanocobalamin form of Vitamin B12.

According to a computer model, Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) hinders coronaviruses.

Because these vitamins are dissolved, they probably provide easier absorption than whole solid tablets and capsules do. Given that there’s a limit on how much of a vitamin the body can handle at a time, breaking your daily dosage of these supplemental water soluble vitamins into smaller chunks likely means more benefits and fewer side effects compared to taking them all at once.

3 Likes