MY portfolio at the end of Oct 2019

Hyperion may want to talk about the timeframe when all this happened. I know MDB had a shaky start and bad reputation years ago but they have turned their image around.

3 Likes

- Your experience with Mongo was appalling,
- You worked with Mongo on a professional level and was left with a bitter taste in your mouth
- You are aware of other engineers that have posted horrible things about Mongo on various tech-boards,

However,

- all of this does not matter to you because Mongo has a really slick sales team,
- the customer wants to be up and running quickly and Mongo can give deliver customers an inferior product that gets them there,
- then, once the proverbial poo hits the fan; Mongo is out and dumps all the bugs and issues on the customers’ engineers
- But, your going to overlook all of that because the “metrics say it all”

Hi Harley,
It may be unfair, but I read that as a disguised post from someone who is short Mongo, and trying to drive the price down.
Saul

16 Likes

I think hyperion summed up his view of Mongo as an investment in this line:

The metrics say it all and I plan on opening a position in Mongo too.

3 Likes

Hi Chris,

I wrote up Datadog, and why I was investing in it, a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps you missed it.

https://discussion.fool.com/datadog-ddog-thoughts-and-purchases-…

I think it answers why I’m investing in it very well.

Best,

Saul

7 Likes

I think it answers why I’m investing in it very well.

It does, Saul, but Chris didn’t ask why you were investing in DDOG. He asked why it was already a top position for you. I have to admit, I’m curious about the same thing. The market seems to be giving DDOG the “new kid” premium. Its market cap is within 10% of CRWD’s, but CRWD has 25% more revenue already and is growing faster.

So to restate Chris’s question: I know you like CRWD and have added to it too. Why do you like DDOG even more? (I’m assuming you do since the position is bigger.)

Bear

17 Likes

Hi Harley,
It may be unfair, but I read that as a disguised post from someone who is short Mongo, and trying to drive the price down.
Saul

Hi Saul,
Why do you think his posting here would have any impact on the market price of a $7.2b market cap firm that trades $200m shares a day?
Naj

4 Likes

Saul never said posting here would have any impact. He interpreted the post as someone trying to have an impact. Big difference.

7 Likes

Sorry Bear, I just can’t say why I have more in Datadog, but I do have more confidence in it (although I have added recently to Crowd).

I realize that what I wrote explains why I bought it but not why I like it more than some other company. I guess I’ve just read a lot about it, and it seems to me to be one of the best of the best. I can be very wrong, but obviously I don’t think so.

Okay, obviously I don’t understand the technology, but I understand a company that is pleasing its customers, is growing very rapidly, has easy to install, easy to sell, and well integrated products (with new ones being introduced), has almost all its revenue on subscription and recurring, has a net retention rate of 146% (which is about as high as it gets), is not burning cash, etc. What more could I ask for? Granted, it’s not cheap (why would you expect it to be cheap?)… I’ll take it.

I’d advise reading Bert’s article, Alex Clayton’s take, TMF Cheeseheads anti-fragility test, the Fool’s take on it, etc. I just feel that it is a Best in Class choice. We’ll see.

Saul

16 Likes

Hyperion,
Slow to catch up on new posts in this thread. Sorry about that.

I found your post interesting, yet familiar. Interesting in that I retired 10 years ago. I make little effort to KUTD on developments that would be known to internal development teams, but maybe not broadly known to the investment community. But you’re post reads just like the Oracle story.

Our development teams frequently found bugs in the Oracle code. I managed the database standards group and they were constantly investigating bugs (was it really an Oracle bug or flawed code?). In that we were a very big shop and an important customer, we had Oracle reps who were virtual residents (my recollection is that Oracle did not actually have dedicated resident support people for each customer like IBM, or at least not for our shop - I could be mistaken, it was a while ago). In any case, we were in near daily conversations with Oracle support. We uncovered a lot of bugs for them. As I mentioned in my previous post on this thread, we lived with it. We were always careful about adopting new functionality in the most recent release of Oracle as experience had proven that the new stuff was often pretty flaky. Stuff that worked adequately for a smaller implementation would break under the stress of our volumes and transaction rates.

But, in the end, we were with few exceptions an Oracle shop. That was true for more than 20 years up until I retired. At that time, there was a serious re-evaluation of our primary RDBMS technology. SQL-Server was getting a lot of attention. I don’t know if there was a standards revision and a migration or not.

In any case, so far as I can see, Mongo is the Oracle. They will rule the no-SQL space for many years to come. And the no-SQL use cases are rapidly expanding. I doubt that no-SQL will displace all the SQL-RDBMSs out there. There are far too many use cases that are ideally suited to relational technology. But in my estimation, most all of them have already been implemented.

10 Likes

Hi All, sorry for the slow response. I’ll reply to each comment.

Hyperion,

In any case, so far as I can see, Mongo is the Oracle. They will rule the no-SQL space for many years to come. And the no-SQL use cases are rapidly expanding. I doubt that no-SQL will displace all the SQL-RDBMSs out there. There are far too many use cases that are ideally suited to relational technology. But in my estimation, most all of them have already been implemented.

Yes, that is exactly my view too.

Is that really the thesis in a nutshell? Or, am I missing something?

Harley

Yes, I can see how you would think that. My apologies.

This was quite a few years ago (2011 to be precise). Mongo has clearly advanced its software but keep in mind brittlerock’s comments, above, which I believe hit the nail on the head.

Hyperion may want to talk about the timeframe when all this happened. I know MDB had a shaky start and bad reputation years ago but they have turned their image around.

Bang on - it was 2011-2012. Sorry for leaving that out. I guess it still pees me off! :slight_smile:

Hi Harley,
Saul

Nope - long. 3% position. :slight_smile:

2 Likes