NET - The First Zero Trust SIM for Mobile Devices - To Better Secure Enterprises’ Corporate Networks and Protect Employees

Cloudflare Zero Trust SIM will integrate seamlessly with Cloudflare’s entire Zero Trust stack, allowing security policies to be enforced for all traffic leaving the device. Further, with the Zero Trust SIM taking an eSIM (embedded SIM) first approach, SIMs can be automatically deployed to both iOS and Android devices and locked to a specific device, mitigating the risk of SIM-swapping attacks faced by existing solutions and saving security teams time. With the Cloudflare Zero Trust SIM businesses will be able to:

• Secure every packet leaving employee devices: Software agents are imperfect and may not be able to handle every type of traffic. Because every data packet leaving a device goes over the SIM, Cloudflare Zero Trust SIM will be able to help secure all of an organization’s data.
  • Deploy at enterprise scale in minutes: Building on modern eSIM technology means that the Zero Trust SIM will be able to be automatically deployed and enabled using existing MDM (Mobile Device Management) solutions across all devices within an organization, allowing them to seamlessly roll out Cloudflare’s Zero Trust SIM without the pain of shipping physical SIM cards.
  • Integrate Seamlessly with Cloudflare WARP: The Zero Trust SIM will be able to be used standalone or deployed with WARP, Cloudflare’s mobile agent, to enable device posture controls and HTTPS inspection for organizations with more demanding needs.
  • Secure the Internet of Things: As more and more objects connect to the Internet, from vehicles to payment terminals and shipping containers to vending machines, these devices need to be secured as well. Cloudflare is currently developing new tools, based on the Zero Trust SIM, to provide industry leading connectivity and Zero Trust security for the Internet of Things.

Article - SA
NET - blog

It is very sticky, once the adopting enterprise will be difficult to leave

60 Likes

Thanks for posting this Chang. Again, Cloudflare has proven themselves so imaginative as to amaze me. Who would have thought of Zero Trust SIM cards for mobile devices? They did. It should be noted, by the way, that this is still under development and not yet a released product.
Saul

21 Likes

In addition to this, Cloudflare announced an interesting new program today:

Cloudflare Announces $1.25 Billion “Workers Launchpad” Funding Program to Help Startups Grow Their Businesses

They will partner with 26 venture capital firms to provide support to startups building on Cloudflare Workers.

The Workers Launchpad Funding Program will provide up to $1.25 billion of financing to startups building applications on a highly-scalable serverless computing platform that allows developers to build or augment apps without configuring or maintaining infrastructure.

For that Cloudflare is partnering with 26 leading venture capital firms including: Altimeter Capital, Bain Capital Ventures, Bessemer Venture Partners, Meritech and many more. Developers are using Cloudflare Workers to build their applications. Any private company globally that is building on Cloudflare Workers is eligible to apply for the program. If selected by the participating venture capital firms, companies may receive a cash investment from these participating firms, as well as mentorship and support from Cloudflare.

If there’s one thing venture capitalists look for in the companies they fund, it’s the potential to achieve significant scale. Startups that build on Cloudflare Workers are building on a platform made to automatically support serious scale,” said Matthew Prince, co-founder and CEO of Cloudflare. “While we can provide the technology, we’re thrilled to partner with some of the leading venture capital firms on the Workers Launchpad Funding Program, who will potentially invest more than a billion dollars in funding towards great startups built on Cloudflare Workers as they scale.”

A promising idea to help young companies and provide the platform for serverless apps.

Nothing to do with the above, but worth mentioning - Matthew Prince seems to be full of confidence right now, as always. Thats what he said about their zero trust ambitions:

”Once upon a time an analyst told me: Imperva invented the WAF, you’ll never catch them. Our strategy has always been to get to market quickly and then iterate based on volumes of customer feedback. In other words: zScaler, you’re next.”

Let the games begin!

23 Likes

When I read that in the press release I thought to myself “They will never be profitable and FCF positive if they are going to give away $1.25 billion !” :cry: But then I read on and discovered that they got venture capital companies lined up to do it.

“For that Cloudflare is partnering with 26 leading venture capital firms including: Altimeter Capital, Bain Capital Ventures, Bessemer Venture Partners, Meritech and many more. Developers are using Cloudflare Workers to build their applications. Any private company globally that is building on Cloudflare Workers is eligible to apply for the program.”

Sheer genius!

Saul

32 Likes

Not only that, but it looks like Cloudflare overshot an initial goal of $250M in venture capital funding by $1 Billion

36 Likes

The press release contained comments from each venture capital.

This stood out to me the most:

Scale Venture Partners: “AWS EC2 changed everything when it launched 16 years ago. I see Workers, and the broader Cloudflare portfolio, in a similar place today. Serverless is the way to build apps in 2022,” said Eric Anderson, Partner at Scale Venture Partners.

26 Likes