New gas-powered car sales and emerging tech

Electric cars are becoming more common. The day when self-driving cars take over is inching closer.

Given these trends, what’s the incentive to buy a brand new gas-powered car? If one or both of these trends comes to fruition in a few years, wouldn’t that be bad for the resale value of gas-powered cars? Wouldn’t all gas-powered cars join stick-shift cars, minivans, Buick sedans, and the Mercury Grand Marquis as the white elephant used vehicles that are hard to sell?

I wonder if the automakers have some incentive to downplay their progress on improving electric vehicles and self-driving vehicles. If you need a vehicle, and you’re convinced that conventional gas-powered vehicles will become obsolete in a year or two, you would NOT want to spend lots of money buying a brand new one. I suppose you could lease a vehicle, but the automakers would make that very expensive if they expect rapid depreciation. So the thing to do would be to buy a cheap old beater to tide you over for a few years while you wait for electric self-driving vehicles to take over.

1 Like

Wouldn’t all gas-powered cars join stick-shift cars, minivans, Buick sedans, and the Mercury Grand Marquis as the white elephant used vehicles that are hard to sell?

I wouldn’t be surprised if there develops a bifurcated market – those who want EVs and those who don’t – which would support an ICE used vehicle market. It might even become politicized. :frowning:

DB2

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if there develops a bifurcated market – those who want EVs and those who don’t – which would support an ICE used vehicle market. It might even become politicized. :frowning:

And there will continue to be a market for $500 (before inflation adjustment) gas-powered cars, until there is a good supply of $500 electric cars.

Please note the absence of the word “new” in that paragraph.

Electric cars are becoming more common. The day when self-driving cars take over is inching closer.

Given these trends, what’s the incentive to buy a brand new gas-powered car?

===================================================================

IMO gasoline powered cars will become obsolete in 2030 - because that is when California bans the sale of all new gasoline cars and many other states will follow California’s lead. With California and other states making up more than 50% of all new car sales in America, the auto manufacturers will stop making/selling gasoline powered cars because it would be inefficient and uneconomical.

Jaak

1 Like