New jobless claims

Back in 2020 we waited anxiously every Thursday for the new jobless claims data.
Now, not so much.

New jobless claims fall to 187,000, setting more than five-decade low
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/weekly-jobless-claims-week-en…
U.S. jobless claims set a more than 50-year low last week as the red-hot labor market shows few signs of cooling in the near-term.

DB2
Noting that the stock market bottomed two years ago this week

10 Likes

DB2

Yup. My innate conservatism won out and I held back at that opportunity too. If I was 40 years younger, I might have jumped…no I wouldn’t…no bottom was in sight about how bad the plague would get. I wasn’t vaxxed until a year later.

Steve

3 Likes

Yup. My innate conservatism won out and I held back at that opportunity too.

I was waiting for a retest to get back in, a W bottom. :frowning:

DB2

Yup. My innate conservatism won out and I held back at that opportunity too.

My biggest winner in my port was bought on a Friday afternoon the Ides of March 2020. I had it on my list but it (Pembina Pipeline (PPL-t))was always far too expensive.

Plötzlich, if fell off the cliff. I used available cash to buy a bunch @C$15.50, then quickly sold an ETF (a cash storage kept for the purpose) and bought more @C$16.xx. It looks hilarious on a 5Y chart.

Yesterday it closed at C$47.06 and pays a dividend that yields (5.35%). I have never been able to figure out why it fell that hard (panic selling?) but the ones I sold in 2008 all came back as did the ones I bought cheap. The Canadian TSX has been on a roll.

Confession: I don’t need my investments to live on, indexed pensions and debt free works for me. I was thinking of replacing the Micra but all the dealers advertise leasing and financing with no mention of paying cash! I get a bad feeling when being outnumbered by car sales people (3 to one) who insist I only need to finance for six months (pretty sure they get a kickback that doesn’t go in my pocket?). The Honda dealer at least puts prices on theirs. I will probably put new all season tires on the Micra and drive it for another couple of years. Still no plans for EV charging in the condo underground parking. The Widow Mafia won’t pay for it so we can’t get the vote. Many of them don’t even own cars and rent their spot out to people with more than one vehicle.

The province and Feds are planning to spend money on charging stations but not sure if that would include Condo buildings, still a work in progress.

Anymouse

Yup. “everyone says” wait for a retest. Missed the bottom in March of 09 too. Didn’t start scaling back in until August.

Is it a trend to bottom in March? March 09. March 2020. March…now?

On the hint of a Cyprus outcome in Ukraine, based on Russia declaring victory and moving the goalpost today, I added a couple positions.

Steve

Is it a trend to bottom in March? March 09. March 2020. March…now?

Don’t forget March 2003 (but not March 1990 or March 1982).

DB2