New Left target

Andrew Left was just on CNBC, new short target is ROKU. This one makes sense to me.

Jimbo

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. I use Roku, but I don’t think it’s got any sort of moat or offers anything that can’t be copied. For that matter, they already have a number of competitors with virtually indistinguishable service.

And just for the record, I think the Roku user interface stinks and I don’t like having yet another remote to mess around with. I’ve had my Roku for quite a while and it’s beginning to act flaky (planned obsolescence?). There’s no way I’m committed to buying another one when this one craps out. I might, but there’s nothing about the product/service to keep my loyal.

As for the bazillion channels they offer, it’s a big so what to me. There are only a few that I watch consistently. They are common names like HBO, Amazon, Netflix, You Tube, PBS and maybe a couple others. Nothing esoteric. I’m confident everything I want to watch will be available with virtually any device.

This short raid isn’t going to hurt me, I’d never invest in Roku to begin with.

I think the Roku user interface stinks and I don’t like having yet another remote
to mess around with.

Bingo. I lost my Roku password 2 years ago and never bothered to do anything about it.
But if I ever lose my Netflix password … well, I just won’t.

I think this (Roku’s stock price) is a case of too many “investors” buying anything with
magic words in their description. You know, like “streaming.” Or “Bitcoin.” Or “Cloud”
or “Big Data.” That’s why I’m grateful for the collaboration here, sorting out the wheat
from the chaff. (Or is that the cloud from the haze? I forget.)

Dan

I’m going to make a mint starting a company called “Big Streaming Bitcoin Cloud Data, LLC.” (Maybe someone else will know how to throw in the word “blockchain.”) It’s the LLC part that will seal in the profits. The rest of the name will attract the marks, er, investors.

1 Like