News for Giga casting doubters

Ford, Hyundai join Tesla in turning to Idra Giga Presses

https://www.autonews.com/automakers-suppliers/why-ford-and-hyundai-are-looking-tesla-supplier#:~:text=A%20Ford-branded%20Giga%20Press,automakers%20explore%20this%20manufacturing%20technique.

o o o o o o o o

At 14:30

The Captain

2 Likes

There is ONE mfr, so how is this “news”?

Hyundai and Ford are TWO mfrs.

The Captain

1 Like

Idra is ONE mfr. Hyundai and Ford are likely customers of Idra. Unless there are other press manufacturers with comparable capabilities…

You are missing the development entirely. It’s not about IDRA, it’s about the auto industry taking a right turn egged on by Tesla’s innovation. Why would they all now copy Tesla?

The Captain

BTW, Elon Musk got the idea from Sandy Munro who had been promoting the idea for some 15 years. While the legacy automaker were tradition bound Musk was willing to take on impossible ideas like landing rockets on their tail.

1 Like

Uh, this is nothing new. And has been happening for more than a century in the auto industry. They ALL adopted the new-fangled “assembly line” for car assembly after Henry Ford proved it worked. And so on.

True. The innovator’s dilemma is not new.
Is that why it’s called a dilemma?

:person_shrugging:
ralph

1 Like

I am reminded of our prior discussion on this topic. You seemed convinced that Tesla had a technological advantage with the giga press that could not be overcome. IDRA is now building these for at least three companies (Toyota made their announcement a few weeks ago).

China probably won’t be far behind.

Unless they copied Tesla. But that takes time and money, a.k.a. first mover advantage. Legacy automakers were convinced that the newcomer had nothing to teach them. How often did we hear that a century of experience would always win? Which reminds me of my boss at NCR, Sr. Túlio Hansen. A sales rep had lost a sale, the prospect claiming he had 20 years of experience, to which Sr. Hansen replied, “One year of experience repeated twenty times.”

This is a good time to bring up the issue. While some automakers are copying Tesla others are cutting back on EVs, notably Ford and GM. We are going to see lots of bankruptcies in the near future, or taxpayer funded bailouts. Even Tesla is feeling the heat. Could be a good time to add some TSLA, not on the strength of EVs but of all the other lines of business.

The Captain

4 Likes

Ayup. Arrogance of the “JCs”. I have commented before about RS store managers at the annual meeting’s “management breakout” trying to tell management the competitive environment had changed, and RS’ prices were laffably uncompetitive. RS President Bernie Appel thundered “I’ve been in this business forty years and I know everything” (heard that one with my own ears).

Steve

2 Likes

And the newcomer wasn’t very welcoming of the useful knowledge there for the taking in the legacy automakers.

Both sides have made mistakes, and both are correcting those mistakes.

—Peter

2 Likes