Notes from the Cutting Edge: Virtual Reality

A few times a year, I take my daughter, now 16, on a technical expedition. We visit thought leaders at Universities she may be interested in attending. This fall we went to the University of Minnesota to explore:

Virtual Reality (Prof Interrante):

The challenge of VR During this meeting, we learned the biggest problem with virtual reality is perspective. Computers are having trouble delivering an images that are correctly perceived by the brain at the appropriate distances. The virtual reality lab is trying to tune the distances so that if you wanted to build a house, you could first virtually walk through a virtual house, virtually put your furniture in it and adjust the ceiling height & room dimmensions just the way you want it.

Psychological Effects of VR You may think that an image can’t really scare you. I did. I was standing in the middle of a carpeted conference room wearing a VR headset, when a diabolical grad student and a giggling 16 year old girl pushed one button on a keyboard that caused the floor to drop away and had me standing on a 6" ledge 3 stories above the ground. I nearly pooped!

Oculus Rift and Its Commercial Implications Today: The Oculus Rift was fun. I heard some people in The Fool have had problems with motion sickness, butthat didn’t bug me at all, and I do get seasick on rough fishing trips. Anyway, I went through a beautiful Italian Villa. Took and look outside. As I was outside, the Grad student pushed another button and I was 50 feet tall. Changing perspective like that will give advertisers a chance to show fine detail of machine craftsmanship or ridges on toilet paper. It can also give you first person perspective in movies like Ant Man (everybody should see Ant Man).

Anyway, when Zuckerberg pushes for a Oculus Rift in every home, its not such a crazy idea, but it makes me a little sad for my future grandchildren. Will VR be so much better than R, that we stop interacting with each other?

I’m starting to feel as if I don’t belong to this century.

Best,

bulwnkl

9 Likes

I read this:

I heard some people in The Fool have had problems with motion sickness, butthat didn’t bug me at all, and I do get seasick on rough fishing trips.

…as “butt hat”, instead of “but that”.

HAHA, gave me a good laugh! I always enjoy a good laugh!