NVDA: GPUs to Replace Colonscopies

This nugget of information was gleaned from a New York Times article dated Sep.1, 2017 which explained how a 24 year old chipmaking company got the jump on everybody in AI. The article, more like a bio on the formative years of Nvidia and it’s electrifying CEO, Jensen Huang (americanized name, real name I learned here is Jen-Hsung Huang) had an eye opening lead with its first three paragraphs talking about a healthcare application which could replace colonscopies.

Headline: Why a 24-Year-Old Chipmaker Is One of Tech’s Hot Prospects

Subheadline: Nvidia, a maker of graphics processing units, is riding an artificial intelligence boom to put its chips in drones, robots and self-driving cars.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/01/technology/nvidia-chipmak…

SANTA CLARA, Calif. — Engineers at CTA.ai, an imaging-technology start-up in Poland, are trying to popularize a more comfortable alternative to the colonoscopy. To do so, they are using computer chips that are best known to video game fans.

The chips are made by the Silicon Valley company Nvidia. Its technology can help sift speedily through images taken by pill-size sensors that patients swallow, allowing doctors to detect intestinal disorders 70 percent faster than if they pored over videos. As a result, procedures cost less and diagnoses are more accurate, said Mateusz Marmolowski, CTA’s chief executive.

Health care applications like the one CTA is pioneering are among Nvidia’s many new targets. The company’s chips — known as graphics processing units, or GPUs — are finding homes in drones, robots, self-driving cars, servers, supercomputers and virtual-reality gear. A key reason for their spread is how rapidly the chips can handle complex artificial-intelligence tasks like image, facial and speech recognition.

No mention of a new healthcare hardware company being formed around this exciting new tech, but, I feel its likely we’ll be reading about one in another Nvidia blog post within the next year.

19 Likes

Of course, there is already an approved alternative to colonoscopy using fecal analysis.

Yes EXAS, Exact Science

I have had a position for about one year

Andy

“This nugget of information”

I see what you did here…a chip that you swallow, excrete, then analyze the data it collected…yeah, that would be a nugget of information :wink:

Cosmid

1 Like

are finding homes in drones, robots, self-driving cars, servers, supercomputers and virtual-reality gear.

add to this growing list, your colon.

These are very exciting times.

DHeavy

1 Like