OKTA vs AD

Active Directory is the biggest identity and directory service primarily implemented on premise. Every organization uses it, period. Just like windows it is ubiquitous.

If AD is made available as a SaaS what kind of impact it will have on OKTA?

From what I have understood OKTA does, AD is in a completely different boat respectively just one of the many aspects that OKTA provides.

https://jumpcloud.com/blog/active-directory-vs-okta/

1 Like

Tack on a few thoughts here:

– AD is already offered as a service by Amazon and Azure.
– AD already has a linux counterpart, LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol)
– AD has an AD-specific token mechanism, that comes free with MS call ADFS (Federated Sercies) that provides a single sign-on mechanism
– Technically you can do everything you can with AD/ADFS that you can do with Okta, but at the cost of a huge amount of Microsoft IT infrastructure.

1 Like

Technically you can do everything you can with AD/ADFS that you can do with Okta, but at the cost of a huge amount of Microsoft IT infrastructure

Are you suggesting OKTA is cheaper than AD as a service available in Azure?

1 Like

I hate to break it to you, but Active Directory is already a SaaS offering – it’s called “Azure AD - Domain Services” (or something like that). It has been a SaaS offering for quite some time, and it doesn’t and won’t hinder Okta one bit.

Okta is a completely different layer, really, that connects into AD (or not), but supercedes it. Okta does identity management, which is over and above (but includes) the AD authentication, and they can play together if desired.

Net-net: AD as a SaaS offering probably HELPS enable Okta deployment to some extent. At least that’s what I think. Because once you ask “Hey, can I also move my AD authentication layer into the cloud?” where it’s probably cheaper, your next question will probably also be “OK, how do I keep all my applications safe?” And that’s where Okta can shine.

Not to mention enabling Single-Sign-On across ALL of those applications. (@#*&^ I wish my employer would deply Okta /instead/ of Azure AD… I have to authenticate like nineteen times a day, for the love…)

7 Likes

I hate to break it to you, but Active Directory is already a SaaS offering – it’s called “Azure AD - Domain Services”

See post # 53452, the one prior to your post in this thread, I have talked about it. I understand it a bit not a lot.

I have to authenticate like nineteen times a day

That is not AD problem, that is your implementation issue. Talk to your admin.