OPNT

Anyone familiar with OPNT?

I was screening stocks by PE, PEG, project earnings, etc., and this biopharma rocket popped out.

Meteoric rise over the past 2 months.

PE < 20
PEG < 1

2 Likes

Roy,

1st time hearing of this company. You may already know but here’s from the news tab for OPNT from seekingalpha, Wednesday Sept. 6:

“Thinly traded nano cap Opiant Pharmaceuticals (OPNT +14.4%) continues its upward march. Shares have ballooned seven-fold since July. The company develops treatments for substance abuse and eating disorders.
• The stock began trading on Nasdaq Capital Market on August 29. A few weeks before that, it announced the receipt of another $3.75M from its NARCAN royalty deal with SWK Holdings. NARCAN is the only FDA-approved nasal spray for the emergency treatment of opioid overdose. As the agreement matures and sales continue to ramp, the company will receive a greater share of royalties and milestones (at least 90%).
• A new CFO, David O’Toole will join the company on September 12. The same day, CEO Roger Crystal, M.D., will deliver a corporate presentation at the Rodman & Renshaw Investment Conference in New York”.

Thanks. Given the severity of the opioid crisis, this could be a lifesaving drug with a huge patient population.

Roy, this one has my head spinning, very thinly traded micro cap with a very interesting story and incredible short term appreciation. I did see they received a one time payment that may skew the financial picture.

I am trying to determine if the product is legit and what kind of competition exist in this space. I would appreciate any input board members may have.

hydemarsh,

Opiant’s 2016 annual report has this on competition in general and for their NARCAN nasal spray:

Competition
The Company faces competition from other companies focused on pharmacological treatments for substance use, addictive and eating disorders. Some of these companies are larger and better-funded than the Company and there are no assurances that the Company can effectively compete with these competitors. Potential competitors include Indivior PLC, Alkermes PLC, H. Lundbeck A/S, Shire PLC, Camurus AB, Orexo AB, BioDelivery Services International, Inc., Titan Pharmaceuticals Inc., Cerecor Inc. In 2015, Shire PLC received FDA approval to use Vyvanse to treat BED in adults.

With respect to NARCAN® (naloxone hydrochloride) Nasal Spray, the Company faces competition from other treatments, including injectable naloxone, auto-injectors and improvised nasal kits. Amphastar Pharmaceuticals, Inc. competes with NARCAN® (naloxone hydrochloride) Nasal Spray with their naloxone injection. Kaléo competes with NARCAN® (naloxone hydrochloride) Nasal Spray with their auto-injector known as EVZIOTM (naloxone HCl injection) Auto-Injector. In 2015, Indivior PLC received a Complete Response Letter from the FDA with respect to a naloxone nasal spray. In 2016, TEVA filed an NDA with the FDA seeking regulatory approval to market a generic version of NARCAN® (naloxone hydrochloride) Nasal Spray before the expiration of the ‘253 patent. Although NARCAN® (naloxone hydrochloride) Nasal Spray was the first FDA-approved naloxone nasal spray for the emergency reversal of opioid overdoses and has advantages over certain other treatments, the Company expects the treatment to face additional competition.

1 Like

I sincerely appreciate this response. so far this company appears to be a lottery ticket.

Down 27% today, though. Enjoy that roller-coaster, gang…

And down another 27% today, down 46% from Tuesday’s open. Oof.

Or to put in context how meteoric their rise was… about the same place they were two weeks ago!